Industrial Design Fall 2020

verynervous

Hey! In my personal opion, It's a little bit rough. because European university's tuition fee is relatively lower than America. So They will not gonna lose their chance.  I'm sorry that you're waitlist on many university. I wish you luck!

Hi everyone. I'm a mechanical engineer from India. I have an admit to KTH's IPD-ID course (same as @verynervous) and Delft's IPD course (MVE engineering track)

I was looking for design courses with a tech/problem solving approach more than the artistic ones.

@verynervous I haven't heard KTH's course being talked about in any design school discussions. I know that its the best tech university in Sweden but don't know about the program though.

Both programs will cost approx the same (tuition+living) so I'm currently working on choosing one of them.

@k9494 From the experience of my friends doing their masters in engineering in the US, they get assistant-ships, part-time jobs with good pay, and in-state tuition quite often. It seems to be very likely that my studies at Delft or KTH will end up costing me more than my friends' studies in the states. Is the situation different for art schools in the US ?? I've heard that UPenn, CMU, Texas, etc. have design programs as well . . .

Hi @Psquared

I am a mechanical engineer from India too. I am also looking to develop my design practice in a problem solving direction rather than in an artistic one. But I do not want to a pursue a programme in a mostly technical university partly because I already kinda have engineering skills and rather than getting more of those skills, I want to learn how to apply them in my design projects and partly because I feel a tech school will provide job opportunities mostly in the field of engineering. This is why I am leaning away from accepting offers from schools like KTH and Polimi and leaning towards schools like GSA and Parsons.

As far as money is concerned, I have learnt that irrespective of the country, art and design programmes are more expensive than tech programmes. Moreover, the programmes are costlier when they are offered by a private design college (which occupy most of the top ranks) than a public university. However, if you compare the same type of programme and university, tuition in Europe is lesser than in USA. (I am only talking about tuition because the living expenses depend on the city) 

Btw, what do you think of Delft's programme (I was going to apply there but I missed the deadline)? How does it compare to the programme at KTH? Also, do you perhaps know how it compares to the Msc in Design and engineering programme at Politecnico di Milano?

11 hours ago, verynervous said:

Btw, what do you think of Delft's programme (I was going to apply there but I missed the deadline)? How does it compare to the programme at KTH? Also, do you perhaps know how it compares to the Msc in Design and engineering programme at Politecnico di Milano?

I've heard good reviews of Delft. The college itself is ranked well and the course is reputed as well. It was my first choice because I've known them from my time doing Formula Student. The Netherlands has a good name in the design industry too. I would've liked to apply to Aalto as well but my portfolio/SOP weren't ready before it's deadline.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IndustrialDesign/comments/31zulb/confused_between_tu_delft_and_aalto_university/

KTH was one of the very few other tech focussed or engg+des design courses I could find. There was Chalmers as well, but I didn't apply there. Missed out on German universities because of the language requirement.

Polimi has a good uni reputation and the course is mentioned often as well. But I missed the priority deadline and didn't apply later because I'd been told that the employment scenario in Italy wasn't as good. That's the same reason I avoided all schools in the UK. Employment is important for me.

I'd like you to check this out : https://www.designacademy.nl/study/master/apply-master-course

Have you heard of ECAL in Switzerland ? I was going to apply there but got Delft's admit before that. And ENSCI in France ? But that needs French.

11 hours ago, verynervous said:

As far as money is concerned, I have learnt that irrespective of the country, art and design programmes are more expensive than tech programmes. Moreover, the programmes are costlier when they are offered by a private design college (which occupy most of the top ranks) than a public university. However, if you compare the same type of programme and university, tuition in Europe is lesser than in USA. (I am only talking about tuition because the living expenses depend on the city) 

Thanks for the financial insights!

5 hours ago, Psquared said:

I've heard good reviews of Delft. The college itself is ranked well and the course is reputed as well. It was my first choice because I've known them from my time doing Formula Student. The Netherlands has a good name in the design industry too. I would've liked to apply to Aalto as well but my portfolio/SOP weren't ready before it's deadline.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IndustrialDesign/comments/31zulb/confused_between_tu_delft_and_aalto_university/

KTH was one of the very few other tech focussed or engg+des design courses I could find. There was Chalmers as well, but I didn't apply there. Missed out on German universities because of the language requirement.

Polimi has a good uni reputation and the course is mentioned often as well. But I missed the priority deadline and didn't apply later because I'd been told that the employment scenario in Italy wasn't as good. That's the same reason I avoided all schools in the UK. Employment is important for me.

I'd like you to check this out : https://www.designacademy.nl/study/master/apply-master-course

Have you heard of ECAL in Switzerland ? I was going to apply there but got Delft's admit before that. And ENSCI in France ? But that needs French.

I had heard all the good things about Delft too. It was my first choice among schools in Europe (excluding UK) too. But unfortunately I missed the deadline. I applied to Aalto Uni too but got rejected. I came across profiles of most schools you mentioned - Chalmers, ENSCI, Design Academy Eindhoven (I haven't heard of ECAL though). But I didn't apply to them because either the school or the programme didn't excite me or like you said, the language would have been a problem.

Overall, I felt the whole deal with schools in Europe was that they were all good and popular and the courses they offered were very similar to each other too. Maybe one is slightly better than the other. In the end, all that matters are how much hard work one puts in and what projects one pursues.

5 hours ago, Psquared said:

That's the same reason I avoided all schools in the UK. Employment is important for me.

Why do you think the employment opportunities aren't good in UK? Also, what kind of jobs do you want to do after you graduate?

4 hours ago, verynervous said:

Why do you think the employment opportunities aren't good in UK? Also, what kind of jobs do you want to do after you graduate?

Brexit and the work-study VISA were strict till this year. Found this today TBH: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-announces-2-year-post-study-work-visa-for-international-students

Either be at a design consultancy or at design+engineering firms. What about you ??