What are GRE cut-off scores?

Bao123

Hello,

I scored 170Q/150V/4W and I'm about to apply for some PhD programs in Robotics. I plan to apply to around 15 schools ranging the top ones to the less famous ones. Is there any chance that I get filtered away (by the system) with my scores? I mean the top schools. I understand that my scores are OK, just not very good. What do you think are the cut-off scores the top schools and the less famous ones? Thank you.

It also depends on your targeted program. 150V is very low for humanities for example but in STEM you might get in.

Some programs explicitly mention their minimum on their web page, and sometimes they will give their average.

1 hour ago, LazarusRises said:

Based on no evidence at all, I think your 170Q is enough to get you through any filters they might have. 150V is pretty low, but 4W isn't terrible. What are the percentiles? 

What I am worried about is getting filtered away... I know the 170 is high, but what about the cut-off for total score?

1 hour ago, Gatech_ST said:

It also depends on your targeted program. 150V is very low for humanities for example but in STEM you might get in.

Some programs explicitly mention their minimum on their web page, and sometimes they will give their average.

I study Robotics which is STEM so the Q should be important. And the average score does not say anything about the cut-off score, which I never found for U.S universities.

I also haven't seen anything about cutoff scores for US universities (though I was only looking at environmental masters programs). If there is one, it's probably at something like 140 (EDIT: Combined 280), where basic competency becomes a question. For a STEM degree I really don't think you have to worry about 150/4.0.

Edited by LazarusRises

You can also check the average GRE in usnews.com for your university and program. Being around the average would probably not hurt your profile. Usually there is explicit cutoff for TOEFL but I didn't see it for GRE, unless yours are very bad, and 150V seems ok for STEM.