Bump in PhD acceptance rate after Masters from same program?

Ed_Cog

Does anyone have an informed guess about the bump in acceptance percentage for a phd ed program when one does a masters from the same ed program? I know this is treading into territory that confuses causation with correlation, but I'm just looking purely for the numbers. For instance, if an acceptance rate for a phd program is 10%, what would a reasonable estimate be for the acceptance rate for masters graduates of that same university? Just a qualitative opinion about what faculty/hiring committees regard such candidates will be helpful as well. Thanks! 

All I can tell you is that I applied to the PhD program where I got my MS as I was finishing.  I was working in the POI’s research office.  She was ready to hand walk me in.  I was there when the folders got to her desk for review.  Mine was not there—she practically had a panic attack and I remember her vocalizing “what the heck happened.”  I think it’s such a unique process.  I have no answer one way or the other.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 3:44 PM, Grmg2020 said:

All I can tell you is that I applied to the PhD program where I got my MS as I was finishing.  I was working in the POI’s research office.  She was ready to hand walk me in.  I was there when the folders got to her desk for review.  Mine was not there—she practically had a panic attack and I remember her vocalizing “what the heck happened.”  I think it’s such a unique process.  I have no answer one way or the other.

Thank you for your reply! I'm a bit unsure about the implications of what you're saying though. Was your folder not being there just an administrative error that was quickly rectified or did you not make it to that stage of the review process despite your POI's advocacy?