Washington State Program Length

Hello,

For those who are in WSU's program right now or have graduated, does anyone know whether the first year is solely for classes and the second year is for clinical practicum? Or do students take classes while doing clinical practicum/externships? For example, I know some schools like Loma Linda and a school in Iowa have you complete all your classes the first year so the second year is only for your externships I assume. Just wanted some extra info whether WSU does the same thing.

I go went to undergrad here and will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability. WSU's program is 5 semesters. You spend the first three weeks of the program doing intensive coursework and preparing for your first clients. For the first year (2 semesters) of the program, you with have clients in the university's clinic (joint with Eastern Washington University) on the campus. I want to say that the first semester, you only have one client and in the second semester you will have 3-4 clients. For the summer and following fall semesters you will have clinical experiences out in the local community. I am fairly positive that for your last spring semester, you have the option to complete your clinical externship in the Spokane area, on the West side of WA, or back in your home state. I've hear about 50% stay in Spokane and 50% leave. Then you will come back in May to walk for graduation. Hope this helps! Best of luck with your applications!

9 hours ago, oldsolnewworld said:

I go went to undergrad here and will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability. WSU's program is 5 semesters. You spend the first three weeks of the program doing intensive coursework and preparing for your first clients. For the first year (2 semesters) of the program, you with have clients in the university's clinic (joint with Eastern Washington University) on the campus. I want to say that the first semester, you only have one client and in the second semester you will have 3-4 clients. For the summer and following fall semesters you will have clinical experiences out in the local community. I am fairly positive that for your last spring semester, you have the option to complete your clinical externship in the Spokane area, on the West side of WA, or back in your home state. I've hear about 50% stay in Spokane and 50% leave. Then you will come back in May to walk for graduation. Hope this helps! Best of luck with your applications!

Thank you! I actually ended up emailing the graduate coordinator after I posted this and she said the same thing :)

On 2/21/2020 at 10:37 AM, oldsolnewworld said:

I'm a little confused by your response, so hopefully you (or anyone) can clarify! I've only ever done quarters in school, so semesters is new to me and I need a little extra help. The WSU program lists out all their required classes online, but unfortunately does not provide a timeline for taking them.

Does 5 semesters mean fall, winter, summer, fall, winter? If I enter the fall 2020 cohort, would I graduate in June of 2022? Or would I have to come back for another extra semester? Also, is there time in between semesters?

On 2/22/2020 at 10:42 PM, squirrel_threats said:

I'm a little confused by your response, so hopefully you (or anyone) can clarify! I've only ever done quarters in school, so semesters is new to me and I need a little extra help. The WSU program lists out all their required classes online, but unfortunately does not provide a timeline for taking them.

Does 5 semesters mean fall, winter, summer, fall, winter? If I enter the fall 2020 cohort, would I graduate in June of 2022? Or would I have to come back for another extra semester? Also, is there time in between semesters?

A semester is typically 16 weeks or 4 months. There are 3 semesters in one calendar year. Spring/winter is around Jan. through May, Summer is around June- August and then Fall is around August-December. Those aren't exact and I know I'm off with the months but those are just rough estimations lol. So yes, you are correct you would be graduating end of Spring/Winter semester. Right before that following Summer semester would begin.