scholarships for German/EU citizens who are not EU residents

Manana

Hi everyone,

I am expected to be granted a German citizenship sometime in the coming year- unfortunately, as tends to happen with bureaucratic processes, I don't know exactly when.  This came as a bit of a surprise following certain changes in German law, and obviously late in the application season. I am currently trying to understand what this might mean for me for the academic year 20/21, and obviously Google is massively helpful but I thought I might get more focused help from people who are familiar with the situation, as I am currently a bit overwhelmed with the changes (my applications have been mostly focused on American universities as they grant a scholarship).

So my questions are:

1. I am currently holding a research degree offer from UCL, with an international fee status. I am waiting for an answer from Oxford. From what I've read on the website, I am not eligible for EU fees since I am not currently residing in the EU or UK. In your experience, is that an eligibility condition required across European universities and scholarships?

2. Could you recommend to me reliable sources for information on scholarships for European/German PhD students? I am currently geared towards studying in the UK, but I am open to exploring other options.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2020 at 9:11 AM, Manana said:

Hi everyone,

I am expected to be granted a German citizenship sometime in the coming year- unfortunately, as tends to happen with bureaucratic processes, I don't know exactly when.  This came as a bit of a surprise following certain changes in German law, and obviously late in the application season. I am currently trying to understand what this might mean for me for the academic year 20/21, and obviously Google is massively helpful but I thought I might get more focused help from people who are familiar with the situation, as I am currently a bit overwhelmed with the changes (my applications have been mostly focused on American universities as they grant a scholarship).

So my questions are:

1. I am currently holding a research degree offer from UCL, with an international fee status. I am waiting for an answer from Oxford. From what I've read on the website, I am not eligible for EU fees since I am not currently residing in the EU or UK. In your experience, is that an eligibility condition required across European universities and scholarships?

2. Could you recommend to me reliable sources for information on scholarships for European/German PhD students? I am currently geared towards studying in the UK, but I am open to exploring other options.

Thanks!

As far as I know, you can get EU tuition fees for the Netherlands (2k per year instead of 15k or so). My friend has EU citizenship but didn't live in the EU and could get the cheaper tuition fees in the Netherlands. There are lots of Master programs in English and the education is solid! I did my undergrad there. 

In Schweden/Norway tuition should be almost free for EU students, but not sure if you have to be an EU resident.

In Germany there are 13 Begabtenförderungswerke where you can apply for monthly stipend scholarship (up to 700 Euros per month). Maybe that is something you can consider but not sure if you have to speak German for that. You can just google it. Are you planning to do a PhD after your Masters? 

On 3/31/2020 at 3:05 PM, Yass said:

As far as I know, you can get EU tuition fees for the Netherlands (2k per year instead of 15k or so). My friend has EU citizenship but didn't live in the EU and could get the cheaper tuition fees in the Netherlands. There are lots of Master programs in English and the education is solid! I did my undergrad there. 

In Schweden/Norway tuition should be almost free for EU students, but not sure if you have to be an EU resident.

In Germany there are 13 Begabtenförderungswerke where you can apply for monthly stipend scholarship (up to 700 Euros per month). Maybe that is something you can consider but not sure if you have to speak German for that. You can just google it. Are you planning to do a PhD after your Masters? 

Thank you so much! I am currently in the finishing stages of my masters and looking into PhD programs.