2020 Fall Applied Linguistics & Education

Hui0524

On 3/8/2020 at 8:43 AM, Cats&Coffee said:

Hey, everybody! Is anyone else going crazy trying to decide? OMG I'm really stuck. Narrowed down to NAU and U of Arizona SLAT. At least I know I'll be moving to Arizona! Officially turned down two awesome programs today and that was hard. I created a spreadsheet to compare all the schools, but it's to a point now where I just keep looking at it and not getting anywhere in my mind. Anybody know students or faculty in either program personally? Am I the only one obsessing like this???

I'm obsessing too! I still haven't heard back from Indiana which is making me really nervous. It's between them and Boulder right now in terms of, like, my personal comfort since I have a ton of family in Indiana and I currently live in Denver so either of those would be good for that reason.

But I can't get UVA out of my head! I really like the idea of being a linguistic anthropologist and UVA has absolutely the perfect program for me to do that. But am I putting myself in too narrow of a niche? I won't get my resident tuition benefit like I would at Boulder, so would I be putting too much financial burden on myself? Around and around in my head.

On 3/8/2020 at 5:56 PM, ammarahasan said:

please you guys should post your SOP . 

If you have specific questions about writing the SoP, I'm sure people will be happy to reply, but I think it is a lot to ask of strangers to just post their SoPs here. These are personal and also required a huge amount of work. Hope you can understand what I mean. Happy to answer questions, though!

8 hours ago, Hui0524 said:

Whatever you choose, you’ll become a star in applied linguistics area for sure! It’s amazing to get so many offers! 

I will wait ISU by the end of March. If I can’t get the offer, I’ll definitely go to UA. ?

That is very kind of you to say! Good luck on ISU!!!

2 hours ago, sarahma789 said:

I'm obsessing too! I still haven't heard back from Indiana which is making me really nervous. It's between them and Boulder right now in terms of, like, my personal comfort since I have a ton of family in Indiana and I currently live in Denver so either of those would be good for that reason.

But I can't get UVA out of my head! I really like the idea of being a linguistic anthropologist and UVA has absolutely the perfect program for me to do that. But am I putting myself in too narrow of a niche? I won't get my resident tuition benefit like I would at Boulder, so would I be putting too much financial burden on myself? Around and around in my head.

Glad I'm not the only one! I talked to a faculty member that I know and he basically brought up all the same things I was already thinking about both programs, which confirmed my ideas but was decidedly unhelpful towards my decision! I'm left in exactly the same point of indecision. Are you MA or PhD? 

11 hours ago, Hui0524 said:

Congratulations! ISU’s program is wonderful! Can you share when you got the acceptance letter? And what about the funding information?  My status is still under review, and my POI told me to wait. I really look forward to hearing from them. 

Thank you! So I got an unofficial offer email on Feb. 11, then the official letter came on Feb. 27. The funding info came with the admission letter. I got TAship, which I think is what students normally get. ISU seems to be quite generous in terms of funding. The program website says most PhD students are fully funded. So I guess you don't need to worry about funding if you get admission. Best of luck!! And congrats on your other acceptances! UA is definitely a good choice as well!

On 3/8/2020 at 11:34 PM, Siangee said:

Hey guys! Wow I'm probably too late to join, but I really want to be a part of this conversation!

I applied to four programs and here are my results so far:

Iowa State U Applied Linguistics and Technology - Accepted (and I have decided to attend this program!) 

Northern Arizona U Applied Linguistics - Accepted 

Simon Fraser U Linguistics - Waiting for decision 

Georgia State U Applied Linguistics - Waiting for decision 

My specific interest is in corpus linguistics and register variation. So glad to find people here interested in applied linguistics!

Hey,

Congrats on your acceptances! I am also going to be a first year at Iowa State! It seems we will be cohort friends :) Are you from Iowa? Looking forward to meeting you there in person!

7 hours ago, noemie12 said:

Hey,

Congrats on your acceptances! I am also going to be a first year at Iowa State! It seems we will be cohort friends :) Are you from Iowa? Looking forward to meeting you there in person!

Hi! Congrats to you too! Happy to find a future cohort friend here haha. I'm actually an international applicant. This will be my first time studying in the US. Looking forward to meeting you too!

9 hours ago, Siangee said:

Hi! Congrats to you too! Happy to find a future cohort friend here haha. I'm actually an international applicant. This will be my first time studying in the US. Looking forward to meeting you too!

I am also an international student (from France) :D Welcome to the US then, how exciting! I Have visited the campus several times in the past and it is quite beautiful! I am sure we will have a great experience there. See you in august!

1 hour ago, noemie12 said:

I am also an international student (from France) :D Welcome to the US then, how exciting! I Have visited the campus several times in the past and it is quite beautiful! I am sure we will have a great experience there. See you in august!

Thank you for sharing that. I've only seen the campus through Google Street View so that's wonderful to hear haha! By the way I am from China. Looking forward to meeting you there!

On 3/9/2020 at 8:25 PM, Cats&Coffee said:

Glad I'm not the only one! I talked to a faculty member that I know and he basically brought up all the same things I was already thinking about both programs, which confirmed my ideas but was decidedly unhelpful towards my decision! I'm left in exactly the same point of indecision. Are you MA or PhD? 

MA since my BA is in Spanish and not Linguistics. I was told I needed the MA to have a competitive PhD application which makes sense of course. I'm also glad I'm not alone!