don't tell people around you about your good news

Bryan2020

I made a huge mistake of telling people about my admission to graduate school and been dealing with the subtle yet unmistakable consequences. 

First, I sent thank-you emails to people who have helped me, recommenders and SOP reviewers, and have received cold responses, if not silence. I am just relieved that my prospective adviser wholeheartedly congratulated me. 

Then I made another mistake of telling my coworkers about my admission when I was asked about it directly - I had been planning to keep it quiet until I quit. This put me in a tricky position at work because now my boss knows I am leaving at some point and there are many coworkers who are desperately waiting for their admission results. 

All I can say is I wish I knew about this and had remained discreet about my admissions. 

I agree that work can be a tricky situation and having other people still waiting might make them jealous, but I would think at least your recommenders would be happy for you! They helped you to get in and should be rooting for you! I hope that you're at least proud of your accomplishment, congrats!