Binghamton, NY

fj20

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm going to be going to Binghamton in the fall, and although I haven't visited yet myself, I can share what I've heard from other grad students and friends living in the area.

As a grad student, you will probably want to live on the west side. From what I hear, most undergrads live downtown, although there are some on the west side.

I'm going to be flying out in June to find a place for July, or if money doesn't allow it, I will fly out in July to find a place for August. So far I've been looking on craigslist and on the universities housing list (just google "binghamton university off campus housing list"). From what I can tell, most of the cheap apartments are in Endicott or Johnson City, but I hear those places aren't too nice or convenient for grad students.

Hey guys... I grew up in Binghamton... and my sister is graduating from SUNY this year, so hopefully I can help.

First off, SUNY Binghamton is in Vestal, NY (the town I grew up in). It's a neighboring suburb of Binghamton (the campus is about 5-10 minutes away from Downtown). The Binghamton area is pretty small, but it's quaint and since I have gone away for school (to Buffalo), I 've come to appreciate the natural beauty of the area. There are many gorgeous rolling hills and hiking and outdoor activities.

Most undergrads live in Vestal (there's a big off campus apartment complex in between campus and Downtown), or Downtown. I don't know where graduate students live primarily, although my guess is in Binghamton (the West side is very nice). BU's (you'll learn to call it that if you don't already) campus is (in my opinion) really nice. It's kind of hilly, and has a cool layout. Make sure you go hiking in the Nature Preserve on campus... it's one of the most beautiful areas in Binghamton.

It's a great school, in a medium-sized college town. You should be able to get apartments for cheap. Best of luck!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I noticed that people said Vestal/Binghamton is a small community. What's the gay climate like there? Safe? Accepting? Any gay culture?

Also, how does the job market look for SOs to relocate? (Medical/nursing, if that helps) Any big hospitals up there?

Thanks!

Edited by KM3

• 2 weeks later...

I have some Qs about the budget...

I noticed that in an area called "University Plaza", in between the BU campus and Bing downtown. Is this where the off-campus community located?

Usually how much will it cost for a 1-room studio (include private bath/kitchen, all utilities) in this area? or in west-side Bing downtown? I searched the off-campus service on BU's website and couldn't decide which area to choose from...

I'm a Arts major graduate and I think it would be a good idea to live in a studio as my schedule is always... 'quite wired', or at least for some people ;P

Also... what is the average cost per month? besides rent

What do you guys always do for summer and winter? how far it is from major cities, like nyc and toronto? (~~~drive)

thanks for the tips ;)

Do not rent in University Plaza. They are expensive off-campus dorms inhabited mostly by undergrads . You can find a much better and cheaper living situation elsewhere in the city. Most students live somewhere on the westside, south of main st. There are also some pretty nice places on the southside. Some students live downtown, but I probably wouldn't - nicer apartments are on the west/southside. Do not live on Eastside or Northside. I found my apt on craigslist, but maybe try to talk to a grad in your department to get some leads. Do not rent an apt sight unseen here. Apartments here can be a real mixed bag. Tip for looking at the westside - the closer you are to riverside dr., the nicer the neighborhood/apartment probably is, while the closer to main st. you get, it is the opposite.

Hard to say what the average cost will be. Some apartments here are total dumps, some are nice. A one bedroom apartment can cost anywhere from $400-600, depending on quality and if utilities are included. Studio apartments less, although those seem to be less common here. Keep in mind that your utilities are going to be expensive in the winter if they are not included in your rent. Budget ~$200 extra in the winter months for your heating bill depending on how warm you like to keep it.

If you are funded, you will get paid over the winter break like usual. During the summer, you are on your own, though. As far as visiting other major cities, I wouldn't plan on doing it during the semester very often. It is a pain to get anywhere from Binghamton. NYC is about a 3.5 hour drive, although there are buses that go from Bing to NYC directly. Megabus recently opened up a route between here and there, so if you buy your ticket early enough you can snag a round trip ticket for 5-10 bucks. Greyhound is about $60 round trip. You won't want to drive to NYC anyways - parking in the city is prohibitively expensive. Before Megabus opened up my SO and I would drive to westchester county, park at the train station, and take the commuter train in. Sort of expensive, but cheaper than two greyhound tickets. Now that Megabus is here we'll be doing that from now on. Toronto is about 5 hours away driving. The airport here isn't that great - only goes to Philly, DC, and Detroit. Probably cheaper to fly in and out of NYC and catch a bus to and from Bing, but some people also use the Syracuse airport, and there is another in Scranton, both about 1-1.5 hours away. No Amtrak access in Binghamton.

Cost of living here is somewhat cheap. Most grad students I know who are funded don't have any problems getting by. My utilities are included in rent, so unfortunately I can't help you much on that front. Gas is getting more expensive, but there is a pretty decent bus system here, and Binghamton is small enough that you won't be driving a lot to get to and from the university. There are a few diff. grocery stores here - Wegmans is very popular with the faculty and grad students.

If you have any specific questions about parts of town once you start looking at apts let me know.

Edited by breakfast

• 2 months later...

I'm checking in here because I'll be in Binghamton in about a month looking at apartments for my move in August. I've already had some advices about areas to look at (westside, southside, Vestal, Johnson City) and to avoid Sall Associates.

Any experiences/input about Coolidge Properties? I know they have a ton of listings and their one-time only pet fee is a nice incentive.

I'm looking for a place comfortable for one person and a small dog, heat/util. included. I'm also on the funded student budget. Of course, I'm hoping for a QUIET place/well-insulated against noise. Obviously, I'm a serious student--I can be an old lady about noise! I also want to avoid living environments with undergrads.

I've done loads of research for places and the net is woefully thin on reviews (saw also to avoid Legacy Bay). I'm hoping that someone may have rented in a good (or bad) place and can either share their experiences or mention a place that isn't coming up on craigslist or all of the largely useless apartment finder websites I've been scouring. Any best kept secrets out there?

Thanks in advance!

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey...I'm just hoping to reawaken this thread, as I'll be in Binghamton this fall. Is anyone else going to be looking for a roommate/place soon? I know most leases in the area run June through May, but I'm really hoping I can sign a lease closer to the start of the semester since I don't be actually moving until August...thoughts?

I too will be going to Binghamton in the fall and hoping to move in August as well.

I need a pet friendly place that allows for more than just one animal (including one hefty corgi that's well over 20 lbs and definitely over 25..)!

I too will be going to Binghamton in the fall and hoping to move in August as well.

I need a pet friendly place that allows for more than just one animal (including one hefty corgi that's well over 20 lbs and definitely over 25..)!

I've decided to leave my beautiful husky home with my mom and it's killing me to do it, but it's SO hard to find a place that will allow a 40 dog. Huskies are on a lot of placed banned breeds lists as well. With that said, if you find a super pet-friendly place with space for me and the pup, would you PLEASE let me know? If there's any way I could realistically have her with me if would be amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

hey everyone!

I will also be going to Bing in the Fall as a Grad student. I will be graduating from Bing in May, but I am currently on exchange to Maine so I will be moving back sometime this summer.

For those of you looking to find a place, I have not seen any that offer a lease beginning in August. All that I have seen begin in June. The only places that may offer August would be the off campus student housing (university plaza, and a couple of other ones that have just recently opened)

Apartments and housing around the area usually go fairly quickly, so you may want to begin your search sooner rather than later.

I will also be attending Binghamton in the fall. I will be looking for housing (around August). Is it better to live in a house or a complex? Has anyone heard anything about the Campus Square Apartments? If anyone is thinking about sharing housing with another graduate student let me know.

I'm thinking about sharing an apartment. If I find a situation (roommate who is open to it, enough space, reasonable rent) I'd love to bring my Siberian Husky with me...she's about 40 lbs. I'm fully prepared to leave her with my mom if I have to, though.

Would anyone who is able to be interested in getting together sometime in May in Binghamton to maybe have breakfast or lunch together and then go our separate ways for apartment hunting and then maybe meet back up after? For moral support and whatnot...and also this way if a place is REALLY awful one person could let the rest of us know not to waste our time. Just a thought. I admit I'm just getting antsy to start meeting people and figuring out what my life is gonna look like in the fall lol.

I want to go up and look, but I am currently between Nashville and Long Island right now (and right now I am in Nashville)...I also want to meet people and figure out my living situation and such...

try any avoid apartments owned by Sal Associates

they are awful landlords

the original owner died and left the business to his son who is scum and his cousin runs the "maintenance" who is a bigger scum.

nothing gets fixed

id check out apartments off vestal ave (behind target/bed bath and beyond)

try any avoid apartments owned by Sal Associates

they are awful landlords

the original owner died and left the business to his son who is scum and his cousin runs the "maintenance" who is a bigger scum.

nothing gets fixed

id check out apartments off vestal ave (behind target/bed bath and beyond)

Oooh thanks for the tip!

Hey Cici, at least you're (relatively close). I'm so anxious about this whole process, I'm barely sure where to start!

Don't worry, Kelkel...we'll all figure this out. I will keep you (and the others) posted if I go up there and find out any worthwhile info. :)

I went to SUNY B for undergrad, and I still visit from time to time. I didn't have a pet when I went there, but some of my friends who still live there do, and it's possible to find housing with a dog or a cat. I lived there a total of five years, from 2000 to 2005.

There are both houses and apartments, be careful of the student slum areas filled with the usual dilapidated accommodations.

Note that when you look at housing, keep an eye out on which city/town it's actually in.

The college is in Vestal. Most of the housing in Vestal is either student slummy, crappy apartments, or impressively nice places where faculty lives.

Binghamton is the largest part of the city, east of campus. It has a lot of neighborhoods that are hit and miss, and the student slums are mostly in Binghamton just north of the Susquehanna. I lived in Binghamton on the south side In house total slum house, but generally south side Binghamton isn't a student slum.

Johnson City is due north of campus across the river. It's a mixed bag. It's got a good stretch of main street with some okay local businesses, and is also where the mall and Wegmans and such are.

Endicott is west and north of the campus, but still is only about 15 minutes away, and is generally a bit nicer, though be careful of the industrial plum from IBM.

Endwell is also north, tucked between JC and Endicott. I think Endwell is pretty nice, comparatively, and I don't know any students who lived there when I was around - ie not a student slum.

Note that all of these places are contiguous - when you're new you'll have no idea where one starts and the other ends - living in any of them is still close.

One thing to really be careful about when searching for housing is your elevation. The Susquehanna floods badly, and last year it flooded catastrophically, damaging housing all through the lowlands. Many people, including a friend of mine, lost everything. In the 10 months since then, a lot of landlords have slapped a coat of paint on the damaged houses and are now renting them again. BE VERY CAREFUL OF THESE PLACES. Quite aside from obvious potential issues with mold, the flooding including the overflow of the city sewage plant and so there are actually disease risks associated with some of these places. In short, just make a note of where a place is in relationship to the river, and aim for the hills! The whole area is a big valley, so there are sections of each of the five cities/towns that are lowlands and parts of each that are up on hills (except Endwell, I think it's all on hills).

Hope this helps. I'm happy to try to help with other questions; even if I don't know the answer I've got multiple friends who still live in the area who I can ask. :)