Duke MIDS 2020

su1234

Hey! I'm also waiting for the MIDS program at Duke. Please keep me posted if you receive an interview invite from them!

Edited by PranavM98

12 hours ago, PranavM98 said:

Hey! I'm also waiting for the MIDS program at Duke. Please keep me posted if you receive an interview invite from them!

Sure!

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, LeoSugar said:

I received an interview invite on 3.5 and will take the interview tomorrow. 

Hey! Do you mind sharing your profile and interview experience? How was the interview? What did they ask?

Thanks! :)

On 3/12/2020 at 12:17 PM, su1234 said:

Hey! Do you mind sharing your profile and interview experience? How was the interview? What did they ask?

Thanks! :)

Hi! I am an undergraduate majoring in Economics. The interview was mainly based on your background (your application materials)and the professors were really nice so there's nothing really to worry about!

Hi everyone! I just received an admit from Duke MIDS dated March 19th. I received the interview invite on 16th and took the interview on 18th.

I was asked the following questions:

1. What are your strongpoints and areas where you want to hone your technical skills? - to which I answered: my strongpoints would mostly be analytics and basics of data science. Potential development areas - public policy, stats, computational social science, big data 

2. What experience do you have working in teams with people from different backgrounds both geographically and technical background wise?

It was a very short 10 min casual interview. 

4 hours ago, su1234 said:

Hi everyone! I just received an admit from Duke MIDS dated March 19th. I received the interview invite on 16th and took the interview on 18th.

I was asked the following questions:

1. What are your strongpoints and areas where you want to hone your technical skills? - to which I answered: my strongpoints would mostly be analytics and basics of data science. Potential development areas - public policy, stats, computational social science, big data 

2. What experience do you have working in teams with people from different backgrounds both geographically and technical background wise?

It was a very short 10 min casual interview. 

Congratulations!! :D

@Guest123 The offer letter says that the financial aid package will be sent separately by the admitting dept. Not sure if it means that I will necessarily receive financial aid. Would you have any idea?

@Guest123 Hey received financial aid letter yesterday. They're giving me 25% tuition scholarship. 

The program is too expensive for me to be able to afford it without a loan. Do you have any idea what we can expect in terms of placements? Median salary etc?

@su1234I'm international but Duke's tuition for this program seems to be the same for Domestic or International. I'm personally would not take out a loans unless it's an amount I can pay back quickly. I don't want debt to dictate my decision making when it comes to post grad employment. 

On 3/21/2020 at 12:29 PM, Guest123 said:

@su1234I'm international but Duke's tuition for this program seems to be the same for Domestic or International. I'm personally would not take out a loans unless it's an amount I can pay back quickly. I don't want debt to dictate my decision making when it comes to post grad employment. 

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your inputs :)

• 2 weeks later...