Georgia State: still accepting applications

Tim O'Keefe

Most applicants to GSU apply by our February 1 deadline to be considered in our initial round, and we've already made offers (and put people on the waitlist) from that pool. However, we accept applications up until our final deadline of April 15, and applications received between February 1 and April 15 will be considered on a rolling basis.

Applicants during this period are much more likely to be initially slotted somewhere on our wait-list rather than immediately receiving an offer. However, strong applicants still have a good chance of being admitted, as people turn us down and we start admitting off of our waitlist. Obviously, earlier is better (an applicant submitting on April 15 would get an offer only if a slot fell through the 4/15 deadline for accepting our admission offer). But anybody who does receive an offer also gets an assistantship that includes a tuition waiver. For more info on our program please see http://philosophy.gsu.edu/graduate/ .

Thanks.

P.S.: Two new tenure-track faculty will be joining us in the Fall: Juan Piñeros Glassock, who specializes in philosophy of mind and action, epistemology, and moral psychology (and who also has a strong side interest in Aristotle), and Allison Piñeros Glassock, who specializes in ancient philosophy, especially the intersection of ancient epistemology and ethics. See https://juanpineros0.wixsite.com/action and https://allisonpinerosglas.wixsite.com/philosophy  for more info. These hires will help make us stronger in philosophy of mind, epistemology, and history of philosophy. 

Good afternoon Dr. O'Keefe,

A quick question that you might have an answer to. What would your admissions committee make, at first blush, of an applicant to your MA program who already held an MA in philosophy from another North American university? I have some sense that students occasionally do this when making a shift from one area of the discipline to another, and this might apply to me.

Thanks for any comment!

10 hours ago, Tim O'Keefe said:

Most applicants to GSU apply by our February 1 deadline to be considered in our initial round, and we've already made offers (and put people on the waitlist) from that pool. However, we accept applications up until our final deadline of April 15, and applications received between February 1 and April 15 will be considered on a rolling basis.

Dear Dr. O'Keefe, thanks for posting here. This is encouraging especially for those who have already been applying to MAs and been rejected. It is nice to know there is still a chance out there.

For those who don't know, GSU is a good program with good placement. If you didn't apply there and you want an MA, I encourage you to take this seriously. (I say this as someone who went to WMU for their terminal MA and had a good experience there - I have heard many good things about GSU over the years)

17 hours ago, Mischief said:

A quick question that you might have an answer to. What would your admissions committee make, at first blush, of an applicant to your MA program who already held an MA in philosophy from another North American university? I have some sense that students occasionally do this when making a shift from one area of the discipline to another, and this might apply to me.

We're happy to admit anyone who seems well-qualified, and we've admitted people who already have MA degrees in philosophy--although they haven't been from other North American universities. In the personal statement section of the application, we ask people to address why they want an MA in philosophy, and why they want one from GSU in particular. So I'd suggest that you talk about why you're pursuing a second MA degree in philosophy, because obviously a person might wonder about that.

I'm not planning on closely following this thread (this is y'all's space, not mine), so if people have additional questions about Georgia State, please e-mail me at tokeefe@gsu.edu.