What makes an application stand out?

futureaud9

I'm a student who will be applying to audiology schools next fall. I was wondering if those who have been accepted could say what you felt like made your application stand out? Like were your scores really good or was it your essay or your interview. Thanks! I really appreciate it!

Current 2nd year AuD student who was accepted to all 7 school I applied to (I went a bit overboard on applications)

No one will know what exactly makes an application stand out to besides that specific universities application committee. However, these were my stats, previous experience, my experience from discussions with professors. 
I have a 154 verbal, 157 quantitative, and a 4 or 4.5 writing (I can’t remember that part) my undergrad GPA was 3.7ish. Things I have heard stand out: your letters of recommendation (I believe this is huge), your personal statement, and any additional things you did in school (did you work in the field, did you do research, were you an athlete, were you an RA)

IF a school does interviews obviously this will likely be considered heavily because this will give them the best idea of who you are, if you will fit in at their program etc. 

Again I am not on the admissions committee at any university as I am a student but this is my experience and my understanding from the process. Feel free to direct message me if you have any questions about applying I would love to help!

I think for me personally my personal statement, letters of rec and unique life experiences helped me stand out as an applicant. Although my GPA and GRE were not as high as others, I have still been able to compete for top programs. I think focusing on things such as research, volunteering, etc. combined with having solid letters of rec and personal statement throughout the next year should help you!! Good luck with the whole process, you're gonna do great!

• 4 months later...