The Americanists' Corner

ampersand

I'm putting up this thread as a place for Americanist students to discuss their options. Feel free to tell us where you got in and when you'll be making visits, ask questions about schools and funding, and just generally chill with others of your kind.

ampersand, I hear you. My research interests are almost the same, but I also hope to dabble a bit in political psychology as it relates to voting behavior. Barring any additional acceptances, I plan to visit Minnesota, UIUC, and WUSTL. I'd love for some current and prospective students to chime in on what they like and dislike about the American politics subfield at these schools.

Stony Brook accepted me today, too, and they said they "would like to invite you to visit our department at our expense." (I take that to mean that they don't necessarily have a recruiting weekend, but also want to make time for students to visit.) I also got a nice email from another professor there touting their public opinion credentials. I'm not sure yet if I'll visit. Depending on the funding that UCSD offers me and whether or not I get in at Ohio State and Michigan, Stony Brook probably isn't all that high on my list. I'd be able to make much more informed decisions about where to visit if I knew for sure all the offers I was considering. If someone wants to send some good karma over to a few midwestern schools to get them to hurry up and make their decisions, it would be much appreciated.

Of the places where I've been accepted, only WUSTL and MN have designated visitation days. UIUC has invited me to come, but without an assigned time. IN seems to be slow on this one (accepted over two weeks ago and still waiting on info about the package or even the official acceptance letter).

Stony Brook accepted me today, too, and they said they "would like to invite you to visit our department at our expense." (I take that to mean that they don't necessarily have a recruiting weekend, but also want to make time for students to visit.) I also got a nice email from another professor there touting their public opinion credentials.

It was funny. Their acceptance email sounded almost like a rejection. They didn't invite me to visit, because they probably know that unless they offer funding, there's little chance that I'll go there, especially since I've been given a full package at a program which is likely a better fit.

I have similar research interests as many of you here. So far I've been accepted at Wisconsin and Columbia. I also got the interview request from Emory. Rejected from Ohio State and Yale. Unofficially rejected from Harvard and Michigan I think. Still waiting on Princeton, American, and WUSTL.

What do people think about Columbia for American political behavior and public opinion? Common view seems to be that they're much stronger in IR and Comparative.

What do people think about Columbia for American political behavior and public opinion? Common view seems to be that they're much stronger in IR and Comparative.

I applied to Columbia (and am waiting for the rejection letter) with the hope of working nearly exclusively with Shapiro, but there is probably a handful of other folks that could work with you on these topics. It is a stronger school in IR and comparative, but I applied there because I think no one can scoff at a PhD at Columbia regardless of subfield, especially if you work with a legendary scholar like Shapiro. Congrats.

Alright, Americanists, what's the sexiest school you've been admitted to so far? I have to say I'm pretty stoked about WUSTL. If I end up there, I will probably do a lot more political psychology, something I find very fun. Are there any UMich admits in here? How about Harvard, Ohio State, etc.? Let's hear it! What's your best option and why?

I met Putnam last year when he visited my university. He is obviously a very accomplished scholar, but he also seems like a really great person. Congratulations on both schools. I understand that both have strong programs in theory.

Is it wrong to admit that I've failed in my attempts to read Bowling Alone? I know that it's one of the most important political science books of the last 10 years and "social capital" has become a buzzword in our culture, but 500 pages of very small type is incredibly intimidating. On the occasions I've tried, I usually get through about 75 pages before I give up and read Harry Potter instead. It makes for better bedtime reading.

Is it wrong to admit that I've failed in my attempts to read Bowling Alone? I know that it's one of the most important political science books of the last 10 years and "social capital" has become a buzzword in our culture, but 500 pages of very small type is incredibly intimidating. On the occasions I've tried, I usually get through about 75 pages before I give up and read Harry Potter instead. It makes for better bedtime reading.

Here's a tip Ampersand: just read the article on which it was based.

Bobos in Paradise...? The End of History and the Last Man? The Clash of Civilizations? Those and Putnam's books were all (I think) once single articles. Find the article, read it, and no one will ever be able to tell whether the knowledge you have is from the book or not. That is because these books have not only produced buzzwords, but most of what people know about them and remember is buzzwords.

There was a French guy, who recently wrote a book about how to talk about books you hadn't read, how to fake it. This guy received a lot of press. He deserved none of it. Groucho Marx said it many years ago and he said it well (and if you reflect on the line you'll see its more complex than it seems:) "The two secret's in this life are hard work and honesty. If you can fake those, you've got it made."

alegriapura said:

Let us know how the two stack up. Also, what are your thoughts about WUSTL and UIUC?

I'd take WUSTL over UIUC without a second thought. WUSTL's behavior faculty is significantly better than UIUC's in my mind and has also been placing Americanists at better schools.

Chris Achen and Larry Bartels are both at Princeton, so that'd probably be a pretty damn good choice for you. Of the schools that you have been accepted by, that's probably the one I'd choose, although I'm not positive. I'd have to do some more digging. Talk to your professors. Princeton's got a lot of institutional cachet, but WUSTL is a great department that has been improving of late. Meet with as many potential advisors as possible. You're gonna have to work with this person for the next 4-7 years, so you need to be sure you get along.

I agree entirely with your analysis. Still, UIUC definitely turned my head. They were so aggressive about emailing me. If I ended up there, I would love to work with Jeff Mondak and Cara Wong, but they have a great, young faculty, as well as Kuklinski, a venerable scholar for sure. I see lots of energy there with potential for a jump in rankings. Minnesota also has a great faculty. I would want to work with Larry Jacobs and Joanne Miller, but there are lots of fantastic options there. Wisconsin is obviously a widely-respected school too, but I personally rank it after Minnesota. Princeton is probably the best school for me. They have great behavior people and I can imagine really getting into political psychology there.

I guess I am anxious to visit some places and make an informed decision.

Alegriapura, I guess it all depends on what you want to emphasize. WUSTL and Princeton are both great schools and you'd be well served at either of them, but it sounds like WUSTL would be better for straight-up American politics and Princeton would be better if you wanted to go the political psychology route. Both WUSTL and Princeton have name recognition. Princeton more so.