Taking big loans for out of state question

I'm applying for graduate programs right now. I heard back from two of the three grad programs I applied to.

• University of Arizona: Waitlisted
  • University of Northern Iowa: Accepted
  • Nevada State College: TBD (Where I am getting my Undergraduate in Speech-Language Pathology this May)

I'm currently in a dilemma, being the broke college student that I am. If I end up going to UNI I'd end up paying $70,000 (out-of-state) for my M.A in SLP compared to if I get into NSC I'd pay $13,000 (in-state) for my M.Ed in SLP. NSC is currently on a CAA Candidacy Status with ASHA until the year 2024 and they are currently working on partnering with the community for externship opportunities for their graduate students.

My question is, how will this affect my ability to apply for my CCC's once I am done with my degree? If they end up not getting accredited, will I be able to apply for my CCC's? If I end up getting my CCC's and NSC does not get accredited for the duration of 2024, will that affect my ability to renew my CCC's as I practice as an SLP? Would it be better for me to bite the bullet and take a big loan to go to UNI or wait on hearing back from NSC if they accept me? They are a fairly new program. They started back in Fall 2019, I don't see a reason why they would not get accredited, but I wanted to ask for your opinion if you guys were in this position. 

Edited by AwkAlt
Change in format and title

Hello! Congrats on your acceptance!

So to answer your question on accreditation, if Nevada State College is a candidate (or in candidacy status), they're just as qualified as an already accredited institution. I know this because I had a similar situation. I was accepted to UT Health San Antonio who also has a new program (2017) and won't receive accreditation status until 2022. This is because it takes 5 years to earn! During the open house in San Antonio, they informed us that a university has to prove several things in order to even receive candidacy status. If someone earns their degree while an institution is a candidate (not yet received full accreditation), their CCC will not be affected in any way. Meaning, going to a new school that is a candidate is just as good! (in regard to getting licensed and certified).

As for your inquisition of out-of-state vs. in-state...it's a tough one. If you're okay staying local (your accreditation worries no longer being a factor), you will save yourself a lot of hard work later in trying to get out of debt. However, if you want to explore outside of Nevada, research Iowa's residency policies! I was an out-of-state student (coming from California), when I moved to Texas to pursue undergrad. I was granted a tuition waiver and paid in-state tuition because, in the state of Texas, if you receive a scholarship of $1,000 or more, you qualify for in-state tuition no matter where you came from.

So I would see if Iowa has anything like that or maybe just a potential for handing out scholarships in general to help with that cost. But I will definitely say that $70,000 is not the business.

Edited by Caitzilla
Clarification