McGill vs Toronto ma??

I've received offers from both McGill and University of Toronto for my masters in political science. Undergrad was at McGill in honours poli sci. I'm originally from Edmonton and love Montreal and have an SO here but I don't want that to decide for me. I'm interested in Canadian politics and international relations. HELP!! What are some things I can do to narrow down the choices?? 

2 minutes ago, Dwar said:

Are either of them funded? If not, which school would you take out the least amount of debt with?

Thanks for the reply :) I'm not sure about McGill yet -- waiting on the official package. U of T isn't funded but it's less time in school and I can work in ontario (don't speak french so not an option in qc really). Funding is one of my top considerations for sure but while I'm waiting for numbers, I'm pulling out my hair wondering which is academically/ professionally better. 

Just now, slut4cdnpoli said:

Thanks for the reply :) I'm not sure about McGill yet -- waiting on the official package. U of T isn't funded but it's less time in school and I can work in ontario (don't speak french so not an option in qc really). Funding is one of my top considerations for sure but while I'm waiting for numbers, I'm pulling out my hair wondering which is academically/ professionally better. 

TBH, and i have literally no experience or extended knowledge of the Canadian academic system, but it seems that McGill and UT are both one of the big three, so i'm not sure there is really a substantial difference. Again, i have very little knowledge of the Canadian system so i may be very wrong, but that's just my take. 

What i do know about though, is that you should try not to acquire debt during grad school. Especially if you are a planning a career in academia after, debt is a killer and will follow you everywhere and prevent you from living life. So i would strongly recommend attending the school that will leave you with the least amount of debt. 

37 minutes ago, Dwar said:

TBH, and i have literally no experience or extended knowledge of the Canadian academic system, but it seems that McGill and UT are both one of the big three, so i'm not sure there is really a substantial difference. Again, i have very little knowledge of the Canadian system so i may be very wrong, but that's just my take. 

What i do know about though, is that you should try not to acquire debt during grad school. Especially if you are a planning a career in academia after, debt is a killer and will follow you everywhere and prevent you from living life. So i would strongly recommend attending the school that will leave you with the least amount of debt. 

Thanks so much for the insight! Lots of people in my ear have been saying debt isn't that scary but I'm really nervous about taking on more than I already have! 

Just now, slut4cdnpoli said:

Thanks so much for the insight! Lots of people in my ear have been saying debt isn't that scary but I'm really nervous about taking on more than I already have! 

Okay so debt is super scary. I've been lucky enough to have about half the national average of undergrad debt in the US, but it's still alot and does concern me. I'll be paying off my debt for a good 10-15 years after i graduate. It has prevented me from doing many things, and i imagine it will prevent me from doing other stuff once i graduate (house, vacation, investments). 

If you plan to pursue a PhD or go into academia after your degree i can only say that this applies even more. Academic jobs generally do not pay enough to warrant additional significant debt. While i do not know your personal financial situation, i can only advise to go the rout of least debt. Future you will be thankful. 

2 hours ago, slut4cdnpoli said:

Hi @slut4cdnpoli - Dwar is right, go wherever your debt will be the lowest. I'm a polisci PhD student at UT. They're both great schools/programs. UT seldom funds master's students (tuition is about $7,800 CAD for the full degree) but it does routinely nominate SSHRC applications that cover everything. I strongly recommend you read the two main Canadian political science threads on this specific forum; your question about academic/professional comparisons has been asked and very extensively covered quite a few times including as recently as this week. Good luck!

15 minutes ago, Paulcg87 said:

Hi @slut4cdnpoli - Dwar is right, go wherever your debt will be the lowest. I'm a polisci PhD student at UT. They're both great schools/programs. UT seldom funds master's students (tuition is about $7,800 CAD for the full degree) but it does routinely nominate SSHRC applications that cover everything. I strongly recommend you read the two main Canadian political science threads on this specific forum; your question about academic/professional comparisons has been asked and very extensively covered quite a few times including as recently as this week. Good luck!

Thanks so much! I'll check those out -- they didn't come up in my google searches for some reason. :)