Chicago Divinity Queries

ignatius1796

Hi all, I was recently admitted to UChicago's MA program at the Divinity School. I am unable to visit the campus before the response deadline, nor did I visit it before applying (unlike the other schools to which I applied). That said, I'm interested in gathering as much information as I can from afar before making a decision.

Scouring forum posts here, I have seen the academic atmosphere at the Divinity School variously characterized as "cutthroat" and "competitive," with students hell-bent on attaining their professors' respect and recommendation letters. I don't intend to produce a repetitive thread, but I am interested to see if that is the general anecdotal consensus and to know how that affects relationships between students and between students and professors. For the latter, 2 academic years is not a very long time in which to build relationships with professors, especially, though not solely, when the prospect of a PhD is in the picture. To current and recent students, or anyone with knowledge: is the atmosphere so competitive as to preclude meaningful, substantial learning as well as relationship building? What were your experiences like in the school, regardless of post-graduation outcome?

One other, unrelated question — does anyone have knowledge of or experience with switching between the MA and MDiv? Is it easy? Does financial aid follow you if you switch? I'm intrigued by the perception of Chicago's MDiv as a more academic degree than other MDivs, which, in exchange for required ministry classes and placements, would allow for an additional year of study. 

Thank you! 

I've had a handful of former classmates (undergrad and grad) that went onto Chicago for PhD studies and they've all described it as extremely competitive and cutthroat. I suspect the same is for M* students there, esp. since they still (or I assume they still do) have an internal application process for M* students to go straight into the PhD.

It's ultimately going to come down to what profs you want to work with. Some love the fighting among students, some even feed it. Some purposefully seek out that silent rockstar that knows how to balance when to speak and when to stfu and listen to their classmates, and let their writing speak for itself.

From friends, it's most evident with faculty and students working in some field of philosophy at the Div. School. As an undergrad philosophy major at a competitive Ivy, philosophy departments are great at breeding assertive assholes. It taught me skills that took years to unlearn while also killing my love of philosophy but that's a different thread.

I'm not sure about swapping at Chicago specifically. Generally, it's as simple as going to the dean's office and signing a piece of paper and maybe getting your advisor to sign it too. If your funding was specifically tied to the M.A. that might prove problematic but generally funding is better at the M.Div level so it might also open some avenues.

3 hours ago, xypathos said:

I suspect the same is for M* students there, esp. since they still (or I assume they still do) have an internal application process for M* students to go straight into the PhD.

There is no longer an internal application process for M* to PhD at Chicago, but I think the change was just implemented this round. 

I was admitted for the PhD this year and had similar questions to @ignatius1796. I had heard that the doctoral program was significantly more collegial than the M* programs...has anyone here seen that play out? 

Not being able to visit makes it so much trickier to judge the intangibles of a department! I like everything else about UChicago's program and offer, so I'm hoping I can get a better sense of the departmental dynamics before making a decision.

Same here. I got admitted to their MA program with 75% scholarship and I am trying to figure out where I stand in the program. My interests are around early and medieval Christianity so I am really hoping to work with Mitchell and Otten. Also, what is the cohort size or class size? 

Your point about individual profs is very useful, @xypathos. Thank you! And @docturus_sum, indeed — deciding without visiting is a tricky task. Congratulations on your PhD admission in any case! I would expect the lack of internal petition to decrease the general level of competition at the master's level (though that may take a year or two to occur) but no idea about doctoral. Any other current or recent MA or PhD students want to chime in?

Nice to meet you @Fiat! The total number of full time students at Chicago appears to be 172 according to the ATS, so I would guess each cohort would be 60-70 MA students? Not sure though. My interests are in Islamic Studies. Leaning strongly towards accepting.