MARINE BIOLOGY AND TRAVELLING

daytomc5

Hey guyss

Next year i'm going to uni and i'm actually deciding whether to pursue marine biology as career or not. I'd like to ask you guys, if i manage to get a good cv and a phd, how many opportunities will be out there to get a job? 
I've always been fascinated by china, then let's assume i would like to get a job as a marine biologist in a chinese university with a good cv but zero knowledge of chinese, 
how probable would it be to find that job ? 
So, is it possible for a marine biologist to switch country by choice(with only english knowledge), or the high competitivity makes that impossible?

Thx youuu

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there! So I'm going to answer this in what I think is the most realistic way: say you do get a PhD where you do some research off the coast of China. This will allow you to make connections with whatever local government you are working with, local fisheries, the local universities that will help you, etc. Then you have to do a post-doc. This increases your training and connections in science. So it is theoretically possible to be able to do field work there and even possibly get a job as a faculty member at a university there. I know for a fact that some use English as the teaching language. HOWEVER-- everyone who decides to move to another country where the official language isn't theirs SHOULD learn the local language. Being a Marine Biologist doesn't mean just diving and catching your organism, sampling the water, or whatever. It means working with local fisheries, government, the public, and other scientists. And let me also ask this... why would Ocean University of China hire you, a foreigner, over a Chinese marine biologist who not only speaks their language, understands the laws and customs, but also has connections and understands the ecology and biology of the area?

I hope none of this came off harsh, just giving you something to think about.