2020 Oxford MPP vs Sciences Po - SIPA Dual Degree Programme

Hey guys, hope this grad season is faring well with everyone! 

I just got offers from two of the programmes for the coming year (hopefully the virus outbreak won't affect my plans). If someone could provide some insights into how they compare (in terms course design, career opportunities, how these programmes are perceived in the field), that would super helpful! 

1. Oxford Blavatnik School Master of Public Policy 

• 1-year programme

2. Dual Degree Sciences Po Master in Public Policy & Columbia SIPA Master of Public Administration

• 2-year programme, 1 year in Paris and 1 year in New York

Some background: I studied undergrad in the UK and graduated not long ago so I don't have super extensive work experience. I am interested in working in international organisations that will allow me to access developing countries but may also take up further studies, either a Doctorate degree or perhaps a J.D. in the US. 

Thank you all in advance. 

Edited by studyislyfe

I think the oxford MPP has great brand value and is shorter, which I think is great. That said, if you’re looking for hard skills, it isn’t the best place to be. 

The dual degree is great I think cause it gives you in on two diverse job markets and even study settings.

Hi folks I am an Indian applicant with about 5 years of policy relevant experience. I need advice weighing the options that I have for grad school, the ones I am considering closely, are: 

1. Fletcher MALD - I have a decent fee waiver, but it will still cost me another USD 100K (all expenses included). I like that the course is flexible and I can literally learn anything that I wish but I don’t want to be in the US and with the visa issues, don’t expect to be able to stay back in the country. 

2. Hertie School - I have a 25% fee waiver, it’ll cost me another USD 50K (all expenses included). Everyone seems to love Berlin and while I haven’t been there, I have liked the rest of Europe generally (been to a fair number of Western European countries). However, it’s a newer school and while there are a fair number of optionals, can’t quite compare with the MALD. 

I also have admits to sciences po, Georgetown university but I am not considering them much. 

Now, my questions are - 

(1) what are the job prospects mainly considering to getting into an international organisation ? I understand that the UN loves American degrees but is a Hertie Grad a complete no go ?

(2) How tough is it to go for a dual degree from one of the GPPN schools to another (say Hertie to LSE ?)

(3) What professional tracks do typical Fletcher and Hertie graduates take ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 4:28 PM, studyislyfe said:

Hey guys, hope this grad season is faring well with everyone! 

I just got offers from two of the programmes for the coming year (hopefully the virus outbreak won't affect my plans). If someone could provide some insights into how they compare (in terms course design, career opportunities, how these programmes are perceived in the field), that would super helpful! 

1. Oxford Blavatnik School Master of Public Policy 

• 1-year programme

2. Dual Degree Sciences Po Master in Public Policy & Columbia SIPA Master of Public Administration

• 2-year programme, 1 year in Paris and 1 year in New York

Some background: I studied undergrad in the UK and graduated not long ago so I don't have super extensive work experience. I am interested in working in international organisations that will allow me to access developing countries but may also take up further studies, either a Doctorate degree or perhaps a J.D. in the US. 

Thank you all in advance. 

Hi there! First of all, congrats to your great offers! 

I personally would choose the second option (accepted into SIPA). But it is a very personal choice. Think about the locations, do you want to be in two of the most vibrant cities in the world or do you enjoy that cozy student town feel with lots of old buildings and libraries? Do you like a shorter or longer program? Do you wanna be based in Europe or in the US? 

I went to Oxford several times (my boyfriend is currently doing his Master there) and I like the city a lot. However, most of the Master programs are very academic and you'd probably have to read a lot. My bf's reading list is insane and even though the assignments are not graded, everyone puts so much pressure on themselves to do well. It's nice that Oxford is close to London and there are many international students.

But maybe you want to experience something else since you've already done your undergrad in the UK. If you're from Europe it probably won't matter much where you whether you choose option 1 or 2 because Oxford and Sciences Po are both well-known institutions in Europe. For me, I am also considering to work abroad in Asia or the US in the future and I love being in a big city. I also prefer a two year program over a one year program because it gives me more time to develop myself and explore different opportunities. Option 2 gives you the access and network in the US and Europe.

If you have the money and time, I'd choose option 2. But if you want to do a PhD in the future or like research and want something shorter, option 1 is amazing as well! Just all depends on your personal preferences. Good luck and maybe see you at SIPA! 

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations on your offers! I would personally choose the second one because, knowing French masters, it will probably include an internship as part of your studies. And since you're interested in working for an international organisation, this will be great hands-on experience.