GRE V170 Q142

Ravana_PKV

Hi, I have given my first GRE and I'm looking to get into top colleges in U.S like UCLA or UCB or CMU. My unofficial score on the test day is Q170 and V142, I'm an undergraduate from IIT. Is there any scope for getting in? Should I give a retake for GRE ?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.☺️

How much the GRE matters depends on your program. However, a 142 verbal score is going to throw up some red flags to an admissions committee suggesting that your English needs some improvement, especially if it's accompanied by low TOEFL scores. If you're not applying for a liberal arts or humanities program, you don't need an outstanding verbal score, but something above 155 would put you in roughly the top 25% of test-takers and make you much more competitive. Something in the 160s would put you roughly in the top 10%.

I would study up a bit on vocabulary, practice with some native English speakers as best as you can, and retake it to boost your verbal score.