COVID-19 affecting anyone else's process?

ajs2021

I reached out to a professor at one of my top schools... I had already interviewed over the phone, and the professor told me several times I was a strong candidate. Since I hadn't heard anything in a while, I reached out for an update. He informed me that because of the corona virus, several of his contracts had been delayed or cancelled. Because of that, he decided he was no longer going to take on a graduate student this fall. I went from having very good chances of being accepted to one of my top program choices to being completely knocked down because of a virus. 

Has anyone else experienced other delays because of this? Am I the only one unlucky enough to have applied to a program that was negatively affected by the pandemic? 

Massive international students are affected by the virus because oversea US embassies just suspended all visa applications for an indefinite period of time. If things dont get better in a month or two many will miss 20 Fall. I am guessing some programs with quota to fill may give strong preference to local candidates, while other programs may just close doors to everyone. Think about a plan B - it may work better than plan A when you look back in 10 years.

Edited by vanillasky2

It has and it hasn't. My backup school already accepted me, but I'm still waiting on word either way from the very last school on the list. Given the choice between the two, I'd go with the one that hasn't said boo yet. It's a pretty good-sized state university so it shouldn't be a question of funding; I'm hoping everyone is just in such turmoil from trying to scramble to get courses online and figure everything out that they haven't finalized cohorts or sent letters/emails yet. I'm domestic and it's in-state. I'm hoping it just means I'm perched at the top of a wait list and we're waiting to see how things shake out. I mean, if they haven't rejected me yet... we're so close, there is still a chance, I think. I haven't committed yet to backup school, pending the information I'm waiting on.

I do know it's screwed up pretty much everybody's life in some ways. Hang in there, buddy. I'm with vanillasky2, sometimes these things are blessings in disguise but you won't know for awhile.

Yes! I got accepted into my doctoral program February 17th and interviewed the following week for a graduate research assistant position. The interview went very well and I was confident I had the job. When I hadn’t heard back in a month, I emailed the director to get an update and she never even responded. I’m unsure whether another candidate was chosen, there are delays in the interviewing process, or the position isn’t available anymore. I don’t want to bother her since things are hectic with COVID19, but I don’t know if I’m even going to school now. I can’t afford to attend without funding. I wish I just knew what was going on. 

This. Is. A. Disaster. 

Edited by Brent123

most definitely. I received an acceptance letter from my dream program's department back in early March, along with a nomination for a fellowship. I was supposed to be notified of the fellowship decision by March 31st, however, I don't know what the decision is yet because the grad division has not formally accepted me (the dean has to take an extra step in accepting me because I had a sub-3.0 GPA in undergrad). I've been told it's been impacted by COVID-19 also but it's so anxiety-inducing.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't apply this time as I was getting my GRE scores ready but my research assistant position got indefinitely postponed. I got this position mid-Feb (I'm not in the U.S. right now so back then the universities were on winter break) The whole school has switched to online classes since early March which is when the school term normally begins. I was really looking forward to start this job because I thought it would boost my CV for this winter cycle but I guess I will have to look for something else.