Any advice for incoming master student?

Hi, I have just accepted my offer for my graduate school, is there any advice for new master student(ie. do we have professor rating like undergraduate, workload suggestion for each semester?) For me, my undergraduate gpa is pretty low(roughly 3.0) so I am very deeply worried about my grade in graduate life. BME major, any suggestion is welcome and appreciated. 

• 2 months later...

I have recently completed my masters year. My main thing to say is be prepared to perhaps add more routine to your life than in undergrad (as I in my undergrad had no routine whatsoever). I found that routine was essential to coping with the increased workload/difficulty, and allowed me to have a work-life balance!

Hello! 

I've just completed my MSc in Chemical Engineering, and I thought I could write you a few tips that I wish I had known. Regarding the professor ratings, it depends entirely on the university you're attending, a quick Google search will take you to a page where you can filter professors by university (the ones I have attended were not on this list). Speaking from my experience, the workload was heavy! It was not impossible though. Doing a research based degree and having course work made it quite tough to balance both. The one thing I would suggest is to develop a schedule for yourself and write down all your tasks and important deadlines. Ask questions when you don't understand something, engage in class, and finally enjoy the process. I did enjoy it but not as much as I wish I did. I sort of fell into a dark time because of a bad grade and I let it affect me way more than it should have. I ended up graduating with a 3.58, and a very strong thesis - the point is, sure grades are important but what distinguishes you the most is the quality and strength of the research you conduct.

I wish you the best of luck, and don't forget to enjoy it! :)

• 2 months later...

I'm going to spoil a big secret:  your grades are not that important in grad school because there's significant grade inflation.  Of course, you need to do well and not be on academic probation, but no one compares your graduate GPA with others.  It's your professional reputation that is more important.  I don't like doing a lot of self-promotion, but there's a link in my profile under "about me" that you might find useful.

Good luck!  -RS

Edited by RyanS

• 2 months later...

I recently completed my master's degree, and I can say that it was a big mistake for me personally to apply for graduate school, because it brought almost no new knowledge. Perhaps the reason for this is the wrongly chosen university, so I advise you to carefully study this issue. In general, I can say that it takes a lot of time and effort and is difficult to combine with work (work in your specialty)

• 4 months later...

The single biggest thing I can say is to enjoy the journey.

Don't stress too much about GPA, it can be hard to separate that stress from how much you have learned and how well you have done. Try not to over prioritize little nitpicked things that take away from your overall experience. Your peers are probably going to be the best reference regarding professors. If it's feeling like a lot, taking classes over the summer can be a great way to destress the following year. Take a deep breath and look at yourself and figure out how much you are up for, because generally we are up for more than we will give credit when we are doubting things. Remember you applied for a reason and the school has deemed you worthy! 

Congratulations! 

• 2 months later...

I have just completed my MSc in Chemical Engineering, and that i thought I possibly could write a couple of tips that If only I'd known. Concerning the professor ratings, this will depend positioned on the college you are attending, a fast Search will give you to some page where one can filter professors by college (those I've attended weren't about this list). Speaking from my experience, the workload was heavy! It wasn't impossible though. Carrying out a research based degree and getting course work managed to get quite difficult to balance both. The main one factor I recommend would be to create a agenda for yourself and write lower all of your tasks and important deadlines. Inquire whenever you do not understand something, participate in class, and lastly benefit from the process. Used to do appreciate it but less than If only Used to do. I kind of fell right into a dark time due to a bad grade and that i allow it to affect me far more of computer must have. I finished up graduating having a 3.58, along with a quite strong thesis - the thing is, sure grades are essential what distinguishes the most may be the quality and strength from the research you conduct.

• 1 year later...

There is a lot of advice that could be given to an incoming master student, but perhaps the most important thing is to be prepared to work hard. A masters degree is a significant commitment, and you will need to be willing to put in the effort to succeed. Be organized and efficient with your time, and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. It is also important to remember that a masters degree is not just about academic achievement; it is also an opportunity to develop professionally and expand your network. Whenever possible, take advantage of opportunities to gain experience and make connections. With hard work and dedication, you can make the most of your time as a master student.