Comprehensive Exams/COVID-19

Hi all, how are your programs handling the comprehensive exams? Did they move to online comps? Our program has us sit for comps (for 8 hours), and are thinking of moving it to later in the summer... Was wondering what other programs usually do/are doing now given COVID-19?

• 5 weeks later...

Our program has just told us to work it out with our individual advising committees about whether to continue on with the initial timeline for the exams or to push it back. I decided to go on as usual just because I already had most of the books I need to write my exams before the school shut down. But having to write the exams while being at home is going to be a challenge because it's hard for me to focus at home. I hope you were able to sort out your prelim schedules!

I am also doing comps this summer and fall. Mine is a "take-home" exam, so it doesn't change much except that my defense in the fall might be on Zoom instead of in-person. I don't know if some students will ask to move it later, I know a lot of folks who are feeling extremely anxious because of COVID-19. Personally, I don't feel the need to ask for an extention, I am quite excited to actually get to do something this summer, because otherwise, it's boring lol

13 hours ago, beanstew said:

Our program has just told us to work it out with our individual advising committees about whether to continue on with the initial timeline for the exams or to push it back. I decided to go on as usual just because I already had most of the books I need to write my exams before the school shut down. But having to write the exams while being at home is going to be a challenge because it's hard for me to focus at home. I hope you were able to sort out your prelim schedules!

I use Focusmate and Focus apps, it helps me when I procrastinate!