How Important Is It To Go Away For Your PhD If Youve Never Been Out of State/City ?

jlaser

Trying to decide between two programs. The one in my city is better (but not *alot* better). Students also seem happier. That being said, I have this strong urge to get away from my home city and state (getting sick of it) and someplace else. But I don’t know if that’s a juvenile and no strategic decision. How important have you all felt moving has been to your personal growth? 

You can always move after if you really want. It is usually best to go with the program that you feel is a better fit for you, with sometimes considering cost of living, etc. Also, the logistics of moving on a student's stipend are not fun, and the support network of family and friends that you have built up may actually be helpful in navigating and coping with the stressors of academia. What is sometimes frowned upon is going to the same institution for grad school that you went to for undergrad, as it can signal that you weren't competitive enough to get accepted where you aren't well known and that you are limited in the different academic experiences if you keep working with the same mentor from undergrad through grad. 

It has been better for me to be out of state for my PhD.  Home has a much higher cost of living and my stressful family with their never ending needs.  I also had that urge to try some place new, even if just for a little while since I did not have that opportunity for undergrad.  So I went for it.  And for me?  Financially things improved and my support system also got stronger.  My program is in a low cost of living area so I have the financial freedom to go home when I need or desire to as well as take other short trips.  I do not come from a family of academics so they could not provide me with the kind of support that I never knew I needed to get through my program.  They also aren't people that I can rely on in a crisis (like our current pandemic) so I knew I was on my own to figure things out.  The result was I formed new relationships and grew closer to people that were in my life that I didn't realize could be helpful.  The move itself was actually the easiest part of the process.