Jobs after Masters in Public policy focussed on Tech/Cybersecurity

shreenathg

Hi All

Newbie here. I am planning to apply for a MPP focussed on Science and Technology Policy / Cyber security policy. I have 11 years of experience and am currently working in the Private sector with a IT consulting company and doing Cybersecurity consulting.Since i have an engineering background, and do not have friends or family that have done an MPP before I am reaching out to you guys to know what are the job prospects upon graduation from a MPP focused on Science and Technology.

I am interested to know the following:

1. nature of work - what is the nature of work that graduates do on a day-to-day basis after completing MPP focussed on tech policy from a decent school

2.Pay scale range - approximate pay range in private sector for MPP graduates

3.Can International students work in the US Public sector ?

4.Will I be eligible for STEM OPT if i take this course?(I am an international student )

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by shreenathg
added new questiob

On 3/29/2020 at 6:24 AM, shreenathg said:

Hi All

Newbie here. I am planning to apply for a MPP focussed on Science and Technology Policy / Cyber security policy. I have 11 years of experience and am currently working in the Private sector with a IT consulting company and doing Cybersecurity consulting.Since i have an engineering background, and do not have friends or family that have done an MPP before I am reaching out to you guys to know what are the job prospects upon graduation from a MPP focused on Science and Technology.

I am interested to know the following:

1. nature of work - what is the nature of work that graduates do on a day-to-day basis after completing MPP focussed on tech policy from a decent school

2.Pay scale range - approximate pay range in private sector for MPP graduates

3.Can International students work in the US Public sector ?

4.Will I be eligible for STEM OPT if i take this course?(I am an international student )

Many thanks in advance.

Sooo... there is no simple way to look at this.

1. It totally depends on your job. Key areas are:

A: Working for a tech company

B: Working for government 

C : Working for a non-tech company trying to tech up

D : Working for research organization.

2. Varies greatly...
A: Anywhere from 50K to 120K (the 120K being Americans who go into tech lobbying)

3. NO, at least not directly. Never seen of it nor have I heard of it. 

4. Unless it is a technical program (like a data analytics program) - NO

For you, your best career option (in terms of income is likely one of these two options).

A: Working in tech policy for a major American company but focused on your home country (for example Google Policy --> Whatever country you are in). 

B: Work for a company from your home country trying to expand business in America.

In terms of school, there are three ways to look it. 

1. You can try to be as close to big tech Industry as possible - Berkeley's MPP - Goldman school would be a great option

2. You can try to be as close to defense industry as possible (not a good option as an international student) and do Georgetown Security Studies or MSFS

3. You can try to go to a AI/Tech innovation hub like Boston and try for HKS or even Boston University