On 4/3/2020 at 7:17 PM, NHMSW2020 said:

have you heard anything back yet?

Nope, I have not. I am tempted to ask but I've already emailed these people a couple times in the past, so I don't want to annoy them. My boyfriend, who applied to a different program (int'l affairs) a few years ago, told me he didn't hear back about grad assistantships till the end of April. Have you? Or have you heard of anyone else?

3 hours ago, lolas said:

Nope, I have not. I am tempted to ask but I've already emailed these people a couple times in the past, so I don't want to annoy them. My boyfriend, who applied to a different program (int'l affairs) a few years ago, told me he didn't hear back about grad assistantships till the end of April. Have you? Or have you heard of anyone else?

Nope. I haven't heard back, and I don't know of anyone who has. I emailed Mandi Albanese, and she said that decisions should be coming out soon. I'm guessing that they've already made decisions and they just haven't sent them out yet. If you do decide to email someone, I'd email her. 

20 hours ago, NHMSW2020 said:

Nope. I haven't heard back, and I don't know of anyone who has. I emailed Mandi Albanese, and she said that decisions should be coming out soon. I'm guessing that they've already made decisions and they just haven't sent them out yet. If you do decide to email someone, I'd email her. 

I emailed Dr. Miller this morning because Mani Albanese was out (I got an email saying redirect the email to her). I haven't gotten a response yet. I'll post it once I do

1 hour ago, HFMSW2020 said:

I got the same response, and emailed Dr. Miller too. She told me we should hear back “early this week”... but that was last week. Please let us know what she says. Really anxious to hear back!

This is what she sent me last Wednesday "Decisions should be coming out soon.  Official award letters will be emailed to students. Please let me know if you have any other questions." I was hoping to hear back today, but still nothing. 

19 hours ago, HFMSW2020 said:

I got the same response, and emailed Dr. Miller too. She told me we should hear back “early this week”... but that was last week. Please let us know what she says. Really anxious to hear back!

She hasn't responded. I'm assuming that means that it will be released sooner rather than later. Either way, I'll update you if she replies/etc. 

Hi guys! Same here. I emailed Mandi last wednesday and she said awards should "most likely be sent out within the next 2 weeks". I also spoke to the director of the program, he said the virus situation has caused things to be pushed back and since Dr. Miller is the only one who handles the awards, it's likely she has fallen behind. 

20 minutes ago, HFMSW2020 said:

Nothing here.

Me either. However I did get in touch with admin today who recently checked with the dean and they said decisions are expected to go out within the next week or so!

18 hours ago, egmsw20 said:

Me either. However I did get in touch with admin today who recently checked with the dean and they said decisions are expected to go out within the next week or so!

Who was the admin, if you don't mind me asking? I tried emailing Mandi, but I got referred (shes on leave) to Dr. Miller, who didn't respond. I was hoping to find someone else to email, just to see what they say  

1 hour ago, lolas said:

Who was the admin, if you don't mind me asking? I tried emailing Mandi, but I got referred (shes on leave) to Dr. Miller, who didn't respond. I was hoping to find someone else to email, just to see what they say  

Christina Autry! She's with funding/budgets/reimbursements in the SSW department, she was referred in that same automated email Mandi sent out for being on leave. But same, I've emailed Dr. Miller a couple of times and haven't gotten a response. Also, I got an email from osfa this morning saying that graduate students should receive their award by the end of April. So it seems that regardless of when we'll be hearing back before May.

Edited by egmsw20

1 hour ago, egmsw20 said:

Christina Autry! She's with funding/budgets/reimbursements in the SSW department, she was referred in that same automated email Mandi sent out for being on leave. But same, I've emailed Dr. Miller a couple of times and haven't gotten a response. Also, I got an email from osfa this morning saying that graduate students should receive their award by the end of April. So it seems that regardless of when we'll be hearing back before May.

Thank you so much! If she tells me anything different, I will more than certainly tell y'all! 

13 minutes ago, lolas said:

update: I have a response. She said the next few days or so. I feel like they've said that a lot though, so I'm not entirely sure if anybody really knows

Yeah, I feel like they're just telling us anything at this point. 

1 hour ago, NHMSW2020 said:

Yeah, I feel like they're just telling us anything at this point. 

Update: Didn't get it. Personally, I'm not in any huge financial debts so I'm not surprised, but I was still hoping for some academic opportunities

2 minutes ago, lolas said:

Update: Didn't get it. Personally, I'm not in any huge financial debts so I'm not surprised, but I was still hoping for some academic opportunities

Same. Does anyone know of any other opportunities for financial assistance?

23 minutes ago, NHMSW2020 said:

Same. Does anyone know of any other opportunities for financial assistance?

Also did not receive the assistantship and am wondering of any other funding opportunities? I would be an out of state student, from Florida. UGA has a really appealing program especially the ProSEAD mission, but out of state tuition is a lot :( even with no preexisting debt.

Just now, HFMSW2020 said:

Also did not receive the assistantship and am wondering of any other funding opportunities? I would be an out of state student, from Florida. UGA has a really appealing program especially the ProSEAD mission, but out of state tuition is a lot :( even with no preexisting debt.

They do have an out-of-state waiver, but I'd research how you get it. You might have to be enrolled for a semester before they'll give it out to you. Of course, like any other place, they have loans. I saw some scholarships on the SSW website

29 minutes ago, NHMSW2020 said:

Have you all decided that this is where you want to go? I also got into FAMU & FSU, but I'm a GA resident & UGA is my top choice. 

Didn't get it either. I'll still be attending the program though! 

37 minutes ago, HFMSW2020 said:

I got an email from OSFA and they said "Typically, graduate students are only eligible for Federal Loans such as unsubsidized and Grad PLUS. For more information regarding Graduate costs and aid, please visit our website: Costs: https://osfa.uga.edu/costs/ ". I also saw the SSW has scholarships but the application system for it doesn't open until this August!