HCI/UX/Information Studies programs to choose from

divyam

Hi all,

I've been looking to transition into the field of User Experience Research and Design and have been fortunate to be accepted into a large number of graduate programs for Fall 2020. I had this fear that I wouldn't get in anywhere and ended up applying to a huge mix of programs that I liked, but now I have a tough decision to make.

Here are the programs I'm considering:

1. University of Washington - HCDE
  2. University of Texas - Austin MSIS
  3. University of Michigan MSI
  4. University of Maryland HCIM
  5. University of Minnesota - Twin Cities HFE

Every time I attend an admitted students day I end up liking new things about each program. I am currently leaning towards the University of Washington's HCDE program. My only reservation with HCDE is that I know the cohort is larger, mixed with full and part time students, and has mostly evening classes. I am a little worried about the social aspect and also what to do with my time during the day. I'd consider getting a job but what I'd prefer would be to complete a program quickly and get into the field, still I know Seattle is a great place to be for UX and that HCDE is the most competitive program I've been accepted into.

I was doing my own research too but I was wondering if anyone had any feedback as applicants or students on any programs that I should give more consideration to or take off my list. Any information is appreciated while I try to make the best decision! Thank you 

Hi,

I am design based and hope to be UX/product designer.

I got into UT Austin MSIS and Parsons MS SDM. I am deciding between them.

I wonder why do yo prefer HCDE than MSIS because MSIS one of my options!

I think UT's research and elective system really appeals to me to build strong capabilities as a ux researcher or designer (with  its relatively low expected cost in Texas)

Thanks for your response! I was really attracted to the reputation of the HCDE program. I'm coming from a psychology background and don't have a portfolio or work samples that would get me into UX and UI and I've heard consistently that UW HCDE is a school that people look to hire from. The job placement rate and salaries for graduated students are a huge draw as well. 

I was a little wary of choosing one of the Information Studies or Information Sciences programs just because they seemed a bit more general in scope than a program that was explicitly meant for HCI or Human Centered Design, but I'm not sure how much that would actually matter. I just found out about my MSIS acceptance today and am still taking everything under consideration.

Oh I see :)

HCDE is a great program! Seattle is a great hub of Tech industry too. 

Actually I am leaning to UT Austin Information Studies because data handling is one the fields that I am interested in. 

Did you get any info about scholarships from UT Austin? I didn't get one and I really can't find any info...

9 hours ago, divyam said:

Thanks for your response! I was really attracted to the reputation of the HCDE program. I'm coming from a psychology background and don't have a portfolio or work samples that would get me into UX and UI and I've heard consistently that UW HCDE is a school that people look to hire from. The job placement rate and salaries for graduated students are a huge draw as well. 

I was a little wary of choosing one of the Information Studies or Information Sciences programs just because they seemed a bit more general in scope than a program that was explicitly meant for HCI or Human Centered Design, but I'm not sure how much that would actually matter. I just found out about my MSIS acceptance today and am still taking everything under consideration.

Oh I see :)

HCDE is a great program! Seattle is a great hub of Tech industry too. 

Actually I am leaning to UT Austin Information Studies because data handling is one the fields that I am interested in. 

Did you get any info about scholarships from UT Austin? I didn't get one and I really can't find any info...

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

I’m a computer-science graduate. I’m currently working as a technical writer with TIBCO Software Inc. I’ve always been interested in HCI so I took up a few courses and also worked on a few projects of my own. 
My day job also involves a lot of aspects that are common between HCI and Technical communication (User research, information architecture, etc.)
I’m quite confident about my liking for this field. I was wondering if my qualifications are good enough to apply to good masters university programs for HCI/HCDE/Information Sciences.