Anyone currently in US and need to get new F-1 for Fall 2020?

3 hours ago, devpsych2020 said:

Any international folks who is currently in US (for work, school, etc) who got accepted to a program that starts Fall 2020? Are your original country's US Council open to do the visa work? If not, how are you guys planning on getting the F-1 visa?

Hi,

I am an international currently in the US under J-1 visa which practically expired (but my status is valid based on DS-2019 form) and I will need to obtain an F-1 visa for my PhD program that starts in August. US Embassy and consulates in my home country are closed until further notice. As of now, my options are as follows:

1. Wait until mid-May (beginning of June at the latest) to see if the situation improves and Embassies/consulates start operating again. If that happens, then I would fly back to get my new visa.

2. If there are no improvements by June, I would consider applying for the change of status within the U.S. through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), which is a long process. I also think it's not an option in my specific case, but I would need to do more research on this.

3. Defer the program start date by a semester, leave the US when my current status expires in August and come back with an F-1 visa in December-January. I was told by the University International Office that if Fall semester is moved to online instruction and I am just about to start my program, then I would not be able to enter the US anyway. It's a different story for those who are in the middle of their programs because they should be allowed to enter the US to finish their degrees.

Hoping to get more info regarding the Fall semester being online/in-person by June and decide then.

12 hours ago, devpsych2020 said:

Any international folks who is currently in US (for work, school, etc) who got accepted to a program that starts Fall 2020? Are your original country's US Council open to do the visa work? If not, how are you guys planning on getting the F-1 visa?

If you're already in the US with an F-1 status then you don't have to leave (even if you're doing OPT). Just transfer your SEVIS to the new school, get a new I-20 from them and you're good to go. However, do note that transfering your SEVIS would end your OPT authorization, even if your EAD expiration date is still in the future.

Kinda different here... I am waiting for my I-20 (already issued and on the way to my home); however, the consulates are all closed here in my country... I hope they reopen before the fall term. 

My university did not mention anything about the fall term yet, so I have no idea how it is going to be... 

Edited by MMP

• 2 months later...
On 4/9/2020 at 3:41 AM, Anik_91 said:

I was told by the University International Office that if Fall semester is moved to online instruction and I am just about to start my program, then I would not be able to enter the US anyway. It's a different story for those who are in the middle of their programs because they should be allowed to enter the US to finish their degrees.

This is news to me. I'd imagine most every school that hasn't come out to say they are re-opening in full will be in this spot. Is it possible that the announcement of a completely online Fall 2020 will mean no visas for all of us incoming int'l students?