Perspective and Advice for a Stats or Math MSc. Applicant With Poor Undergraduate Performance

I had mediocre to poor performance during my undergraduate career due to family/financial issues. As a result, my major GPA in mathematics was around a 2.5 (I do not have to exact number as it is not listed on my transcript) and my cumulative GPA was around a 2.8.

Fortunately, my institution offers a certificate program (akin to something like non-degree studies) to essentially re-take graduate level versions of undergraduate courses, but I am wondering if that would be the best course of action as I am also considering the Math GRE subject since my performance was so poor.

Is it totally unrealistic for me to entertain applying to any masters degree program (after this SARS-CoV-2 outbreak is over of course) if I undertake one or both of these options and do well?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Alex Sharif
Clarity

I don't think the subject GRE will be worth the studying effort for a master's program.  There may be an unranked program you could attend that will allow you to come because you're paying your own way, but some schools have 3.0 cutoffs for admissions. How did you do in the calculus and linear algebra classes? If you could get decent grades in those and maybe a prob/stats class and a high GRE Q that would probably help.  I don't think it's hopeless, but you'll have to find a department that doesn't have a cutoff that will automatically disqualify you from applying. 

I did well in the calculus sequence (all A grades), got a B- in linear algebra, and a C+ in graduate linear algebra. Like I said, I wasn't really in a good place during my undergraduate career so I'm more than open to doing non-degree studies to show improvement since I'm on my own now.

Edited by AlgebraicLeftfield
Edited for grammar errors.

I HIGHLY recommend taking real analysis (e.g.) as a non-degree seeking student.

I was also a unique applicant since I've been out of school for so long and fell out of touch with professors. I took a measure theory class at a local university and made a good impression on the professor by talking to him outside class and scoring nearly 100% (of course it helps to actually be good at math etc). Doing so not only got me an A on an official transcript, it also got me a recommendation letter. I was able to get into one of my top choices this round (PhD).

Honestly it's such a huge lifehack for non-standard applicants.

Edited by jelquiades

21 minutes ago, jelquiades said:

I HIGHLY recommend taking real analysis (e.g.) as a non-degree seeking student.

I was also a unique applicant since I've been out of school for so long and fell out of touch with professors. I took a measure theory class at a local university and made a good impression on the professor by talking to him outside class and scoring nearly 100% (of course it helps to actually be good at math etc). Doing so not only got me an A on an official transcript, it also got me a recommendation letter. I was able to get into one of my top choices this round (PhD).

Honestly it's such a huge lifehack for non-standard applicants.

I have taken univariate introductory real analysis and got a B+, so I guess I can apply the same methodology with graduate level courses. Any input on how NDS works in general though?

Just now, AlgebraicLeftfield said:

Any input on how NDS works in general though?

Yes! If you have a school in mind, look at their website. Somewhere should list that a non-degree option is available. On the school that I went to, it was in the "admissions" section. After you've confirmed it's available (I'm pretty sure most schools allow this), you can either start an application and indicate you're a non-degree seeking student, or email someone in charge of admissions for that department and they can help you out.

For my school, I had to jump through some additional hoops to take a graduate class as a non-degree, but my experience is that the administrators are happy to help.

If you have a school in mind I can help you find out how to do it.

7 minutes ago, jelquiades said:

For my school, I had to jump through some additional hoops to take a graduate class as a non-degree, but my experience is that the administrators are happy to help.

If you have a school in mind I can help you find out how to do it.

My alma mater has this program https://math.sciences.ncsu.edu/graduate/m-s-programs/graduate-certificate/ , but there's a high probability that I may move to Indiana for work.

Indiana University at Bloomington has this: https://graduate.indiana.edu/admissions/non-degree.html

I'm sure there are other such programs in Indiana, but I am not as familiar with the universities there.

Your linear algebra grade is a little low, but I got a B- and was fine for PhD programs and you have a pretty good analysis and some good calculus grades. I think you might be able to convince a department to give you a chance for a master's especially if you do very well on the GREQ.  Have you looked at some of the programs in Indiana like this one? https://fsph.iupui.edu/admissions/apply/ms-bio-applicants.html

On 4/8/2020 at 7:19 PM, bayessays said:

Your linear algebra grade is a little low, but I got a B- and was fine for PhD programs and you have a pretty good analysis and some good calculus grades. I think you might be able to convince a department to give you a chance for a master's especially if you do very well on the GREQ.  Have you looked at some of the programs in Indiana like this one? https://fsph.iupui.edu/admissions/apply/ms-bio-applicants.html

Thanks, but I'm looking for a more traditional math or data science role. In the localities that I have searched for, they generally require an MS in statistics or mathematics. Also, I may want to teach eventually so I would prefer having a path to a PhD (if I so choose later).

May I get your opinion on why the Math Subject GRE is not that crucial for my circumstance? I've been getting mixed reviews from people who have applied to grad programs, but not faculty due to their busy schedules.

An MS in biostatistics is, for all intents and purposes, the same as an MS in statistics. IUPUI also has a PhD program. It was just an example though, but there is pretty much no job that would want an MS in statistics where and MS in biostatistics would not be acceptable. 

The only programs that look at math subject GRE scores are a handful of elite PhD programs. Most top statistics PhD programs do not even recommend the test. If you apply to some random MS program and submit your math GRE subject score, they may not even know how to interpret it.