Hopkins (no funding) vs lower PhD ranked school (with funding)

I have been going crazy trying to make a decision so I am seeking advice here on the forum. I got into three health policy and management (HPM) doctoral programs — the DrPH (Hopkins), GW (PhD) and a lower ranked (30-something) PhD program (still CEPH accredited). Of the three, I am being offered funding only from the lower ranked program (full tuition + stipend for two years).

I met with my potential advisors, talked to dozens of students, and I didn’t come across personal red flags at every school, though of course I’m excited for the prospect of going to the #1 public health school with its network and ability to and learn from a big name advisor at Hopkins. At the same time, I have a family and wouldn’t want to add unnecessary financial stress if I can avoid it; the professors at the other schools seemed good too. I feel that I can make something out of each program. I am employed and all three programs can let me work part time (and I still get the tuition benefit if I go part time). The costs differences are huge: total for the program is ~80K for Hopkins whereas I’d be “earning” money from the other lower ranked school. GW’s cost falls in the middle.

I feel like I can still get something out of every program. Is it worth going into debt to go to the top school? Should I be worried about the rankings? What would you do?  

April 15 is so close and this has been driving me crazy!

Honestly rankings for doctoral programs are fake. No way can a website or an organization can actually rate a PhD program. Take the fact that full tuition + stipend is a better indicator of the quality of the program and it’s values.

this is just general advice. For example, in clinical\ counseling psychology doctoral programs, Columbia university TC is a school people want to go to due to the name merit. However, it  is an unfunded program as well. Most professionals in the field say that schools matter to a certain degree but the debt one takes is much more impact on your life in the program and after.

On 4/12/2020 at 11:06 AM, Yep said:

Honestly rankings for doctoral programs are fake. No way can a website or an organization can actually rate a PhD program. Take the fact that full tuition + stipend is a better indicator of the quality of the program and it’s values.

this is just general advice. For example, in clinical\ counseling psychology doctoral programs, Columbia university TC is a school people want to go to due to the name merit. However, it  is an unfunded program as well. Most professionals in the field say that schools matter to a certain degree but the debt one takes is much more impact on your life in the program and after.

The clinical/counseling programs at Columbia is actually funded with a stipend. Please get your facts straight before spreading misinformation about a highly reputable program. It's weird how you insist rankings are fake yet have somehow convinced yourself that TC is at the bottom.

Excerpt from the website:

"Whereas in recent years, the college has fully funded (tuition + $25,000 stipend) incoming doctoral students (“Doc Fellows”) for three years, beginning with those students admitted in academic year 2020, financial aid packages will continue through students’ fourth year.  Because students should have completed all academic coursework by the end of their third year, financial aid for students’ fourth year is in the form of a $25,000 stipend. As part of the award, Doctoral Fellowship recipients may be expected to serve as a graduate teaching and/or research assistant."

Edited by Justice4All