Should I be worried about my profile?

bacteriagirl

Hi! So I want to apply for grad school this Fall but I'm not sure if I'm competitive enough (I've been reading some of the profiles here and I'm kind of worried). I have a 3.8 GPA (general and science) and I've done 3 summers (1 in junior year of high school which doesn't really count and 2 in college; I was going to do research this summer but corona) and when I graduate I'm going to have 5 semesters of research. I also have a publication as a co-author. All of the programs I'm considering don't accept the GRE or don't consider it so I'm not going to take it. I'm planning on applying to biomedical phd programs at: Harvard, UPenn, WUSTL, Emory, Stanford, Yale, Columbia, NYU, USC, Mayo, and Pittsburgh. Is there anything I can do to boost my profile? 

Another question: All of my research has been in immunology/microbio research and that's the focus of the programs I'm applying to but I haven't taken an Immunology course in college. Should I consider taking an immuno course?

Sorry for asking about this but I'm lowkey worried

Thanks!!!

Edited by bacteriagirl

Two key things you can ask yourself besides your stats:

1. Can you articulate your research? Meaning even if you have done 2 summer research experiences and 5 semesters of research, were you actually immersed in the projects and was not just a technician?

2. Will you have strong letters of recommendation?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't bother with courses - a relevant degree is all you need. As far as boosting your profile, the only obvious thing would be to work as an RA/tech/postbacc full time after you graduate.

Your profile could be fine as is depending on what mediumtwotopping mentioned. 

On 4/14/2020 at 1:22 PM, mediumtwotopping said:

Two key things you can ask yourself besides your stats:

1. Can you articulate your research? Meaning even if you have done 2 summer research experiences and 5 semesters of research, were you actually immersed in the projects and was not just a technician?

2. Will you have strong letters of recommendation?

Okay this is really helpful! I will make sure to think about this and show it on my applications. 

Thank you!!!

On 4/26/2020 at 8:41 PM, BabyScientist said:

Don't bother with courses - a relevant degree is all you need. As far as boosting your profile, the only obvious thing would be to work as an RA/tech/postbacc full time after you graduate.

Your profile could be fine as is depending on what mediumtwotopping mentioned. 

Oof good to know. I registered for the course but I'll have a pretty heavy course load next semester and don't know if I'll be able to be as involved with course material as I want to be. 

Thank you!