Worried That I'm Settling

slymoxie

I worry that I'm settling a bit.

I didn't apply to all of the schools I was interested in. In fact, I didn't apply to many schools. Only 3 PhD programs for Genetics/Genomics.

I applied later and simply didn't have the timing down. 

I got an interview at Baylor College of Medicine but no offer (Genetics and Genomics) and got an offer from the University of Alabama at Birmingham (Genetics, Genomics, and Bioinformatics).

I just fear that I'm settling on UAB although I think it's a GREAT program and I like the fit. It's not a big name program but most of the faculty went to big name schools and have amazing accolades. The faculty are also extremely approachable. I had some immediate connections with them during their interview weekend.

It doesn't have that special tingly feeling that Baylor gave me though. I've wanted to live in a metro area again since college. On top of that, I felt that I connected more with the current students at Baylor and the way they talked about how spoiled they were and happy they were made me want to go there. 

The students at UAB did seem happy, but there wasn't the same zeal for attending in my opinion. 

I just don't want to think I could have gotten into a school like UCSC or Johns Hopkins or University of Washington (all 3 are dreams) and I didn't because I didn't even try. What if there are other schools I really would like too?

Here’s the thing about applying next cycle - between the recession and the fact that a lot of schools are burning through their cash fast, indications are that admissions will be unusually competitive. (This is coming from professors, so straight out of the horse’s mouth, so to speak.) I can’t emphasize enough how much labs across the board have gotten slammed by school closures and industry funds drying up. It sounds like UAB made you happy and you could realistically see yourself going there and being productive, which is very important for a PhD. I’m sure you know that there are no guarantees for next year’s admissions - in my field (chemistry), schools are allowing the incoming cohort to defer until 2021, so spots could be even more limited. So it all comes down to how much risk you want to take. If you decline your offer this year and decide to apply next year, you definitely could get into a more highly-ranked program, but the alternative is also possible. Funding will also be a lot more tenuous, so that’s something to keep in mind  

There’s no right or wrong answer. Choose what you’re most comfortable with *at this moment*, not how you think you might feel in a year or five.