Penn's Art and Archaeology of the Mediterranean World Program Admissions Stats

MtrlHstryGrl

Hello, hello!

I came across the AAMW program at Penn and realized that it fit my interests in both theme and methodology, and that there was a professor with whom I think I would be a great fit. I heard back from that professor, who was interested in talking to me about the program and referred me to two other professors (I am speaking with one of these professors via Skype tomorrow). I come from a primarily History background (not art history or classics), so I am a bit worried, even though I feel as though the fit is good and I have previous archaeology experience that is relevant to my project. Does anyone happen to know the admissions statistics for the AAMW program?

I don't know the exact statistics, but it is a very, very difficult program to get into. I believe each year's cohort is usually around 2 students. You have to have serious language training in Greek and Latin or else they will barely look at your application (a faculty member there told me this when I was applying - I've now been rejected twice). I've heard from people outside Penn this is because they want you to be able to get out in five years, so ideally you'll come in ready to pass your language exams.

Of course, you should apply if you're interested! Grad admissions are so unpredictable that you very well could have a great chance. So I don't want to scare you! But just don't necessarily get your hopes up, and definitely apply other places. You could look into their Art History PhD and see if your POI overlaps between the programs.

Edited by RomeSweetRome

4 hours ago, RomeSweetRome said:

I don't know the exact statistics, but it is a very, very difficult program to get into. I believe each year's cohort is usually around 2 students. You have to have serious language training in Greek and Latin or else they will barely look at your application (a faculty member there told me this when I was applying - I've now been rejected twice). I've heard from people outside Penn this is because they want you to be able to get out in five years, so ideally you'll come in ready to pass your language exams.

Ahh, that is a bit scary! Thankfully, I will be taking a Latin language exam at my current Master's program, so I will have that (along with a language exam in French, a German for research summer course, and extensive training in Italian), so I will definitely try to find some sort of intensive Greek course to supplement my (admittedly quite intense) self-study of Greek. I talked with a POI in the Religious Studies Dept. and she told me, specifically, to mention language and the linguistic aspect of my research, so perhaps that is why.