Smaller MFA Programs

SparkyCrackerz

Hello, everyone. I’m new here.

I was recently accepted into a smaller and mostly unknown MFA program. I’m happy to say I will have funding and I know the professors here are great. However, there is that niggling issue of name recognition/clout. 

My question is - what is the value of the small time MFA program and should I be submitting to bigger programs even if I like the faculty? 

Thanks to anyone willing to help.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see nothing wrong with an unknown program if you're fully funded. Since an MFA won't usually improve your job prospects, clout doesn't matter. I think having the time and money to focus on writing is much more important.

That said, a smaller program is likely to suffer more in the upcoming recession, so I'd consider what your plan will be if you lose funding after year 1. I can't say whether that's a strong possibility, but it's worth thinking about.

Agreed. Smaller programs always run a higher risk of being defunded or just vanishing completely. Reputation is pretty key if you are going to want to find a program which is not on shaky ground.

My MFA is in the visual arts, so there is some difference there. But it wasn't one of the 'top' programs. In a way, that was really nice, as it gave me the chance to be a big fish in a small pond, and I was able to receive fellowships and teaching opportunities that I wouldn't have been able to get in a larger program. I don't think that necessarily changed my job prospects (as I think that opportunity + smaller name = bigger name) but I do think it gave me a huge advantage on experience in the first job I got.