Last Minute Columbia SIPA vs. Johns Hopkins SAIS

Hi everyone!

My decision process has kind of been turned on its head, so I wanted some outside perspective. Just last week, I committed to Johns Hopkins SAIS (MA), where I received a really generous scholarship offer of $80k for the 2 years. However, today Columbia SIPA (MIA) matched the offer and slightly more, so now I am seriously considering it. 

Within the IR framework, I’ll be concentrating in security/conflict resolution with a further focus on the Middle East. I want to use grad school as a way to open myself up to career opportunities, but want to focus on the diplomatic track, think tanks/UN, or even the possibility of journalism which has always been a passion. SIPA always had a bit of an edge for me personally due to several faculty members with research interests/backgrounds more directly relevant to mine, more interesting course options/curriculum, the ability to take courses at other departments (like journalism or law), plus perhaps more name recognition here and abroad. However, SAIS had the benefit of being in DC, with more direct access to security/Middle East-focused think tanks and gov agencies. Something that really turned me off from SAIS, though, was the heavy emphasis on economics, and I feel that the econ courses required at SIPA may be more relevant for my career interests. 

At the end of the day, I'm kind of just shocked at this turn around and would love to hear any and all thoughts! 

On 5/4/2020 at 8:01 PM, Tariqks said:

Hi everyone!

My decision process has kind of been turned on its head, so I wanted some outside perspective. Just last week, I committed to Johns Hopkins SAIS (MA), where I received a really generous scholarship offer of $80k for the 2 years. However, today Columbia SIPA (MIA) matched the offer and slightly more, so now I am seriously considering it. 

Within the IR framework, I’ll be concentrating in security/conflict resolution with a further focus on the Middle East. I want to use grad school as a way to open myself up to career opportunities, but want to focus on the diplomatic track, think tanks/UN, or even the possibility of journalism which has always been a passion. SIPA always had a bit of an edge for me personally due to several faculty members with research interests/backgrounds more directly relevant to mine, more interesting course options/curriculum, the ability to take courses at other departments (like journalism or law), plus perhaps more name recognition here and abroad. However, SAIS had the benefit of being in DC, with more direct access to security/Middle East-focused think tanks and gov agencies. Something that really turned me off from SAIS, though, was the heavy emphasis on economics, and I feel that the econ courses required at SIPA may be more relevant for my career interests. 

At the end of the day, I'm kind of just shocked at this turn around and would love to hear any and all thoughts! 

when you say you committed, to what extent? i know nothing about either, but you may want to look into what kind of contract you may have entered into, or what it might mean for the waitlist and effects on other applicants.. (though my hunch is both would be desperate for enrollment right now, so may not matter too much).. 

On 5/6/2020 at 12:55 AM, e2e4 said:

when you say you committed, to what extent? i know nothing about either, but you may want to look into what kind of contract you may have entered into, or what it might mean for the waitlist and effects on other applicants.. (though my hunch is both would be desperate for enrollment right now, so may not matter too much).. 

@e2e4 does bring up a really good point. Traditionally schools haven't gone after students who committed and don't show up. However, if you signed on the dotted line, they might be able to, depending on the structure of the scholarship.

I knew someone who got trouble with the law because his acceptance to a Graduate degree program was tied to Federal Funding. He left the program while still having funding identified for him.

Also, a lot of these admissions people know each other. Depending on how good of their relationship they are with each other, they might talk. Yes, they compete against each other ferociously too, but informal relationships and agreements are a real thing! 

If you really want to switch ships... you might want to be careful).

Ethically, this is also frowned upon. In some schools, if you get an offer from a job and commit to it and back out, there can be repercussions (like denial of future career services). I mean at the end of the day it might not mean much... just be smart about this. 

Just saying...

Edited by GradSchoolGrad