Ford or Heinz

Putoots

I have finally managed to narrow my decision down to two schools: The Ford School (MPP) and Heinz at Carnegie Mellon (MSPPM). Today is decision day for me!

I am interested in International Development and Humanitarian Aid, so I am leaning towards the Ford School. I attended their Spring Preview and was really impressed by the faculty, the students, and the design of the program. It seems very open and interdisciplinary...I'd love to take a class or two at Michigan Law. Heinz is a little more structured, and although I really like many of their course offerings, the international concentration seems less developed than others (this is usually the case for MPPs).

Other than curriculum, the main difference is cost. I was offered a decent size fellowship from Ford, but Heinz has offered me almost double! The total debt burden for each, after two years, would look something like this:

Ford: $45K

Heinz: $23K

Both programs seem doable in terms of cost, though Heinz is more appealing financially speaking since I'd be free to get a JD later on if I wanted to, whereas $45K would definitely take 7-8 years to pay off.

I didn't get to attend CMU's welcome day but have done a bit of research about the program. Both have very strong career services and both have good placement numbers (CMU's is a little better, I think, but that is because of all of their private sector partnerships...something that doesn't really appeal to me). Both have a large alumni presence in NYC, which is where I hope to end up.

I am a little frustrated because although I want to choose Michigan, I'd feel like a fool for not taking that extra $20K+. Are they really that dissimilar that $20K+ is worth going to Ford? Many people are telling me that the schools are close enough in curriculum and rank that it should really come down to money.

[Oh, coming from California, both would probably be experiences in "culture shock," so region is not really a factor for me since, once again, they are similar.]

Any help, insight, advice, or experience would help!

Thanks!

I have finally managed to narrow my decision down to two schools: The Ford School (MPP) and Heinz at Carnegie Mellon (MSPPM). Today is decision day for me!

I am interested in International Development and Humanitarian Aid, so I am leaning towards the Ford School. I attended their Spring Preview and was really impressed by the faculty, the students, and the design of the program. It seems very open and interdisciplinary...I'd love to take a class or two at Michigan Law. Heinz is a little more structured, and although I really like many of their course offerings, the international concentration seems less developed than others (this is usually the case for MPPs).

Other than curriculum, the main difference is cost. I was offered a decent size fellowship from Ford, but Heinz has offered me almost double! The total debt burden for each, after two years, would look something like this:

Ford: $45K

Heinz: $23K

Both programs seem doable in terms of cost, though Heinz is more appealing financially speaking since I'd be free to get a JD later on if I wanted to, whereas $45K would definitely take 7-8 years to pay off.

I didn't get to attend CMU's welcome day but have done a bit of research about the program. Both have very strong career services and both have good placement numbers (CMU's is a little better, I think, but that is because of all of their private sector partnerships...something that doesn't really appeal to me). Both have a large alumni presence in NYC, which is where I hope to end up.

I am a little frustrated because although I want to choose Michigan, I'd feel like a fool for not taking that extra $20K+. Are they really that dissimilar that $20K+ is worth going to Ford? Many people are telling me that the schools are close enough in curriculum and rank that it should really come down to money.

[Oh, coming from California, both would probably be experiences in "culture shock," so region is not really a factor for me since, once again, they are similar.]

Any help, insight, advice, or experience would help!

Thanks!

I seriously considered admission offers from both of these schools ( 2 years ago), so I am reasonably familiar with both. My vote would go to CMU, since these schools are peers and the finances are significantly better for you at CMU. The less debt the better.

It's a tough choice, for sure. I wish you the best in making your decision, really I do. I feel that the lack of a real developed international concentration at Ford is easily made up for through the availability of quality electives. I chose Ford due to the flexibility and quality of the program and the university as a whole.

Money, however, is nothing to scoff at. My understanding of Heinz, and unfortunately I didn't learn about the program until after all applications were due and I started hanging out at this forum, is that it's a well regarded program with strong career opportunities coming out of the degree. Having less debt certainly allows you more flexibility when finding and choosing a job. How's Heinz's career center? Ford's career center seems really strong. I came away from Preview Day very impressed with them.

Best of luck. Maybe I'll see you in Ann Arbor in September.

My only sentiments besides wishing you the best of luck when making your decision is that I'd like to note your debt load at Ford would still be extremely affordable on a 10 year timeline.

Edited by coakleym

Thanks for those words of encouragement!

This is really tough. Technically I have until tomorrow night, so I guess I'll sleep on it for now. I'm hoping I'll wake up tomorrow with an "aha!" exclamation point over my head.

I just find it funny that I was considering $70K+ in debt only a month ago, and now I'm disturbed by 40. I can definitely credit this board with feeding me a good dose of reality...something I will probably appreciate more 10 years from now. :)

I didn't get into Ford, but I just turned down Heinz (and their money) because I felt the program was too focused on skills. Though you could take classes at Pitt, CMU had very little to offer in terms of interdisciplinary classes, especially leaning toward the softer side of social science, e.g. political science or sociology. Unfortunately that was a deal-breaker for me, but I wished it hadn't been because otherwise it seemed like a great program, great city, great price, etc...

ropeladder, interesting take. I made a somewhat similar decision recently in regards to Ford/Heinz but it was driven as much by other factors as by what you just mentioned. Where'd you end up choosing to matriculate this fall?

I didn't get into Ford, but I just turned down Heinz (and their money) because I felt the program was too focused on skills. Though you could take classes at Pitt, CMU had very little to offer in terms of interdisciplinary classes, especially leaning toward the softer side of social science, e.g. political science or sociology. Unfortunately that was a deal-breaker for me, but I wished it hadn't been because otherwise it seemed like a great program, great city, great price, etc...

Conversely, the skills-based curriculum is why I chose Heinz. I figure I can make up for the lesser number of "softer" classes because I can read and research on my own time. I can't, however, teach myself optimization exercises and financial analysis. Then again, I had a very research/social sciencey undergrad, and I have no lack of qualitative skills. The quantitative program appealed to me. Beyond that, the systems synthesis exercise, the amazing career center, and the DC program really clinched it for me.

Best of luck making your decision!

ropeladder, interesting take. I made a somewhat similar decision recently in regards to Ford/Heinz but it was driven as much by other factors as by what you just mentioned. Where'd you end up choosing to matriculate this fall?

Good question. :)

I'm still trying to decide between SAIS, AU MPP, and IU SPEA. I get a bit longer to decide since none of them offered me any money. (though SPEA is in-state so it would be quite cheap)