Leave or Fall deferral / COVID

ncan360

Hi all, I am set to begin my PhD in the fall. I was awarded a fellowship and have full funding for 5 years. However, in light of COVID 19, and after receiving an email update on reopening from my university,  I'd prefer to  \delay my start until next Fall (2021). I want to avoid online courses at all cost, and without going in to too much detail, some of the guidelines the university outlined for reopening simply won't work for my situation personally. 

Is anyone considering emailing their dept. asking for a late deferral or planning on a leave of absence? My biggest consideration is losing funding or my place in the program.

Thanks so much. That is how I feel as well. I suppose I didn't want to give off the impression that I lacked dedication to pursue my degree- it is more that I hope to do it under less precarious circumstances. 

• 1 month later...

Congrats on your acceptance! I am in a similar boat but for MA. I have heard from some MA students at other schools that they could defer, but that they may not receive the same funding offer. I feel like for phD you may want to start sooner rather than later especially since you will have many years there to take advantage of all the resources the university has to offer to your research and connecting with faculty, etc. The reason i am undecided about doing online courses for MA program is I wanted to be able to experience the campus and the libraries and it is a short program. Just something to think about! Also my fear is that what if we DO defer and we still don't have a vaccine next year and. schools are still virtual. But man do I hear you about the virtual classes, it is a BUMMER. It's just not the same quality for grad level courses. I would definitely reach out to the school and ask about your funding situation next year if you defer and get it iN WRITING if they say your funding is still guaranteed. Best of luck to you!