Masters of Health Informatics (U of T/Waterloo) Fall 2021

OuchBeepBoopStonks

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd make this thread to connect those applying to the MHI program for entry in 2021, whether it be encouragement(s), advice and/or application update(s).

A bit about myself: Currently in undergrad (class of '21), studying Biochemistry with dual minors in Stats & Business. I've worked as a clinical aide in primary care, in healthcare technology, non-health technology and I'll be (hopefully) working in healthcare informatics this fall for my final co-op term.

I'd love to get some info on the following, if anyone knows more about these topics:

Are interview invites on a rolling basis at U of T?

Are there a set number of interviews invites the program sends out?

U of T calculates your GPA based on your last 10 classes (or equivalent). I'm concerned as my minors resulted in my final classes being stats and business-oriented, as opposed to the life sciences and health sciences backgrounds typical of MHI students. Should I take classes, this fall, in health sciences and/or IT to showcase relevant coursework? What about the winter semester prior to the fall entry? Will that semester matter at all, or will it be too late?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 3:14 AM, atchien said:

Hi all!

I'm in the current MHI cohort at UofT, please don't hesitate to reach out for any qs :D hope to see you all in the fall! Goodluck with your applications!

Hi, Atchien hope you are doing great can you please guide on like

1) what type of questions are asked in Interview ?

2) Do they ask any technical or coding or programming related questions

3) Since I feel interview will be Virtual this time do we need to prepare anything special like Presentation or a written article as I have seen in earlier threads.

Will be highly greatful to you,

Greatly appreciated

Megha

On 2/10/2021 at 4:44 PM, atchien said:

Hi all!

I'm in the current MHI cohort at UofT, please don't hesitate to reach out for any qs :D hope to see you all in the fall! Goodluck with your applications!

Hello! I am going to apply for Fall 2022 intake, and I'd like to ask a few questions about how you prepared your application/presentation/interview etc! 

On 3/4/2021 at 6:55 PM, reb2345 said:

I just got an offer today! Hope you hear back soon :) 

Hey, congratulations! I am wondering what the changes with admissions with COVID were. I am applying for Fall 2022 intake and would like to know.

On 2/10/2021 at 9:54 AM, Aldijon said:

Hey everyone, I also applied for both Waterloo and Toronto for MHI. Hopefully it falls through. Graduated from Kin and health sci at york (2017).

Been working as a kinesiologist at a hospital for the last 2 years

Hi, May I ask have you heard back from Waterloo yet? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 9:20 PM, sbunny said:

Hello! I am going to apply for Fall 2022 intake, and I'd like to ask a few questions about how you prepared your application/presentation/interview etc! 

Sure, DM me for any questions, I'd be happy to answer them :)

• 3 weeks later...

I got into Waterloo for their MHI full-time! Checked Quest for my admit status, no email or official letter yet but at least the waiting game is over!

I didn't apply to any other MHI programs (they didn't appeal to me), I'm deciding between this and Carleton's HSTP program, does anyone have any insights? I know they're pretty different programs but both have a health technology focus so I'm having a hard time choosing ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 1:48 PM, RedPanda26 said:

I got into Waterloo for their MHI full-time! Checked Quest for my admit status, no email or official letter yet but at least the waiting game is over!

I didn't apply to any other MHI programs (they didn't appeal to me), I'm deciding between this and Carleton's HSTP program, does anyone have any insights? I know they're pretty different programs but both have a health technology focus so I'm having a hard time choosing ?

On 4/15/2021 at 9:31 PM, Moizi said:

Got an Admit status on Quest this afternoon for the Waterloo part-time MHI program.

Hey, that's great news :) I also got an admit and recently accepted my offer. Did you both decide to accept or decline? Also, is there a FB group we can join?

On 4/27/2021 at 11:47 AM, zarattac said:

Hey, that's great news :) I also got an admit and recently accepted my offer. Did you both decide to accept or decline? Also, is there a FB group we can join?

I decided to decline my offer and chose Carleton instead. I just finished undergrad at UW online due to the pandemic and don't think I can handle a whole other online degree with no funding. Carleton's program also lines up with my interests more overall. Best of luck to you in MHI at UW! 

7 hours ago, RedPanda26 said:

I decided to decline my offer and chose Carleton instead. I just finished undergrad at UW online due to the pandemic and don't think I can handle a whole other online degree with no funding. Carleton's program also lines up with my interests more overall. Best of luck to you in MHI at UW! 

I also just finished undergrad online at UW and I definitely feel you on that! I'm hoping it ends up being manageable though because I do like the program. But congratulations to you on getting into both programs! That's awesome. Best of luck to you :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 3:14 AM, atchien said:

Hi all!

HII.... I am currently evaluating the options for the masters course in USA . I was hoping to gather some information regarding health informatics.

Thank you in advance.!?