Profile Advice for PhD Programs

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and thinking of applying to Statistics PhD programs and looking to see which schools I am competitive for. I'm a young professional working in the field of Statistics/Data Analytics/Data Science for a few years now and I really love it and would love to teach it one day.

However, in undergrad I didn't go to the "best school" because I was given a full (merit-based) tuition scholarship within the public school system in NYC. I ended up loving the school system and continued there for my masters because a couple of the mentors I had as an undergraduate went to the school (CUNY SPS). One thing I'm really wrestling with, is that I love statistics, but I'm not sure I can write a dissertation about it. I see it as a tool for understanding other fields I have more general interest in (environmental studies, sociology, anthropology), which I have worked in a lot (see experience). However, I'm not sure I would be able to pursue a PhD in those fields, because I don't have much educational experience in the field aside from some electives that might have strung together to make a major, but my school didn't allow double majors.

Be blunt with me (please): Do I have any shot at getting into any PhD programs? Would it be possible to get a PhD in another field (like environmental studies or sociology or anthropology)? Do I need to go back to school and take specific classes? Should I drop the idea of a PhD all together? Help!

Type of Student: Domestic

Undergrad Institution: Average Public School (CUNY)

Major: BBA in Statistics and Quantitative Modeling

Minor: Anthropology

GPA: 3.85

Related Courses (undergrad) :  Calculus I (A), II (B), III (A-); Operation Research I (B+), II (A); Statistics II (A); Regression and Forecasting (A); Database Management (B+)

GRE: Have not taken yet (did not have to for graduate program)

Graduate Institution: Average Public Local School (CUNY)

Major: MS in Data Science (finishing in December 2020)

GPA: 4.0

Sample Related Courses (graduate) : Computational Mathematics (Linear Algebra, Matrix Algebra, and Calculus), Statistics & Probability, Advanced Programming, Recommender Systems, Machine Learning

Experience: 

• 3 years as a student researcher using Python/R (focus on using environmental data)
  • Fellow using Data Science with Environmental nonprofit
  • 1.5 years as Data Analyst and Developer at a CSR + Environmental based nonprofit 
Edited by mishele.bee

The biggest thing you're missing is a real analysis class.  It's not 100% necessary for lower ranked programs, but certainly helps. Make sure to do very well on the GRE Q. I would recommend looking at lower ranked biostatistics programs. They will be more lenient about math courses and you can do more applied research (including things that are related to environmental science or epidemiology/social science).  I'd start your search at schools like Iowa, VCU, Medical College of Wisconsin, etc.

In addition to what @bayessays said, I think it would be good to have a standalone and proof-based linear algebra course. While you indicate you have studied linear algebra, I am not sure that adcoms will think that such a class is a substitute for a full linear algebra course.

You could indicate on your PS which topics were covered in the course, but that requires the person reviewing your app to be a rather diligent reader.

Yeah, good catch, I didn't notice that that wasn't a dedicated linear algebra course.  Was the MS entirely online too?  Since you want to do more applied work anyways and thus probably don't want to be a professor, department rank matters much less.  Those schools I listed might be on the higher end of where you could conceivably get in.  There are plenty of lower-ranked biostatistics programs too - take a look at the US News list.  Again, a few more math classes would significantly strengthen your application.