Better to propose a dissertation topic, or not? Media Studies Ph.D.

I'm gearing up to apply to 5-8 schools this year after my first year of rejection (I would reject me too, it was rushed), and I'm really trying to get a feel for what the best practice is for statements of purpose and writing samples particularly when it comes to a planned dissertation topic. 

Is it better to mention that you have a topic you very much want to research and write a dissertation on or better to not mention it? If you do mention it, would it look favorable to write a short (15-20 page) academic paper on the subject you plan to use as a building point for your dissertation? Or is it more favorable to simply express passion for research in more general areas of study that such a topic could exist in? 

Does proposing a topic necessarily make applicants seem inflexible or easier to rule out from consideration in terms of "I'm not interested in advising specifically that topic"?

Thanks,

A

• 1 month later...

I talked to my dissertation advisor on this and she said that you really need to find your niche and know what you want to study when you apply. Basically, you have to have a game plan and convince the school that you are a good research fit for them. From what I understand, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, but you need to explain what aspects of the program will benefit and be necessary for your research. If you wanted to explore broader topics, and then hone in on your specific research, then I recommend pursuing a Master's first, if that's possible. 

The way I think of it is this, this is your professional degree and the school's are giving you money to fund you. You're doing work for them and you need to convince them that you will produce appropriate and meaningful scholarship. For example, at each school you're applying to, which scholar would you want to work with and advise your thesis? 

Edited by fossati

• 5 months later...

Hi, I am a 3rd-year student and for me creating written materials, performing various written assignments is very difficult. I found a cool resource and I recommend you https://essayreviewexpert.com/review/studymoose/ go without wasting time study the review of this popular writing service, StudyMoose review will help you understand the strengths of the resource, it's ranking according to various criteria, and answers to the main questions, try it now, good luck!

Edited by Melissa Owens