Worried about my GPA

cancershark13

I am going into my fifth year because I had to take a year off of school to fight cancer. Prior to my diagnosis I was in the wrong major, didn't know what I wanted and now I'm on my third major, which I am in love with and definitely want to pursue further. I really screwed myself over with my previous majors and my GPA is a 2.67/4.0. It also gets complicated because I transferred twice so I have multiple transcripts and my current school doesn't use credits earned at previous institutions into my GPA calculation. I am a marine biology major and want to earn my Master's but most of the programs require a 3.0 GPA minimum. Is this a hard requirement? Will I be turned down immediately? Or will I have the opportunity to explain that I didn't know what I wanted and then got sick. I still have a year left and I'm hoping I can bring my GPA to a 3.0 but I'm afraid I won't be able to. 

Firstly, I hope you beat the heck out of that diagnosis. Secondly, whether or not the 3.0 requirement is really a "hard requirement" depends on a lot of factors including the programs requirements itself, number of applicants, program size, etc. Some programs weigh your GPA less than volunteer or work experience, while others weigh it higher than everything else. I would contact the school of graduate studies for each program asking whether or not this is a strict cut-off. Some programs show what GPA most successful applicants have had in previous years, this might give you a sense of your chances (you can also ask the school of graduate studies for these stats as well). It usually doesn't disqualify you immediately, but if majority of applicants are reaching this 3.0 then it just decreases the likelihood of you being admitted. 

In terms of explaining your situation, you could work this into your statement of interest, if it is important to you that the admissions committee know these details when considering your application. 

I hope that helps, all the best!

Edited by SmallBean

I don't think it will be impossible to get into a master's program with a low GPA (it may be difficult though). I have this opinion because I'm proof that it is possible. I had and will have a GPA below a 3.0, and I applied to both my graduate school's PhD and MS programs for my area of study. The institution requires that students have a 3.0 or higher in order to be admitted, but I managed to get accepted into their MS program. I think what helped me out the most in getting accepted into my school was my research experience, that one of my recommenders was an alumni of the school, and my GRE- which was above the program's average for admitted students. SmallBean is correct in that programs take many things into consideration. It will greatly help you out if other areas of your application are stronger than your GPA. Don't give up. 

Edited by Uchuuko
wanted to provide further explanation