Advice on schools to consider (Biostats PhD)

Hi everyone, 

I am applying for Fall 2021 Biostats PhD and need some advice on which schools to aim for. I have very little idea on how my profile is going to be viewed. 

Undergrad Institution: Top 1 in my country 

Major: Public Health

GPA:  3.84 (graduated with an award for top 10% students in class; not sure if this helps)

GRE:  Q: 169  V: 162  W: 4

TOEFL: 110

Type of Student: International Asian male

Grad Institution: One of Harvard/JHU/UW (attending)

Major: Biostatistics MS

GPA:  3.96

Relevant Courses:

Taken in undergrad institution:

Calculus (C, did not do well my freshman year..), Multivariate calculus (A), Linear algebra (A), Statistics I & II (A), Probability (A), Numerical analysis (A), Abstract algebra (A), Programming & statistical analysis (A), Experiment methods I & II (A), Epidemiology methods (A), Advanced statistics I & II (grad level, A), Linear models (grad level, A), Categorical data analysis (grad level A), Multivariate analysis (grad level, A), Computer science (A), Programming (A)

Taken in graduate institution:  

Real analysis (A), Statistics/Biostatistics/Probability sequences (all A's except one B ) and all A's in other statistics courses (Survival analysis, Data science, Causal inference, etc.) 

Research Experience: Had one year REU with a Biostats professor doing data analysis in statistical genetics and causal inference. Currently working with my advisor (pretty well known in the field) on developing methods in causal inference (hoping to get a good letter of recommendation out of it).

Schools considered: 

Honestly, I have no clue what range of schools should I be aiming for. I'm definitely going to apply to the school I'm currently attending (not getting my hopes up too high though since it's a top 3 biostats program). Would top 3 schools and other schools like UCB, UPenn, Yale be a huge reach and a waste of money for me to apply to? Any suggestion is welcomed!

Thanks!

I mean, if you have a near-4.0 from a top 3 biostatistics program, I think it is probably not a waste to apply to any other biostatistics program.  But obviously the programs are competitive so it is not guaranteed either.  I'm not sure how much it will matter, but is your B in a theory or applied class?  If it's in stat theory, I could see a B hurting if you don't have more advanced classes.  I don't imagine the applied classes matter as much, and a 3.96 is great anyways.  A lot will probably depend on your letters, so I'd apply to a wider range as well.

I feel you have a reasonably strong application, but since funding for international students is limited (particularly for biostatistics programs), make sure you apply to a wide range of programs. As a back-up, you might consider applying to some statistics programs that admit a lot of international students and have some faculty working in biostatistics (e.g., Daniels at Florida comes to mind).

5 hours ago, bayessays said:

I mean, if you have a near-4.0 from a top 3 biostatistics program, I think it is probably not a waste to apply to any other biostatistics program.  But obviously the programs are competitive so it is not guaranteed either.  I'm not sure how much it will matter, but is your B in a theory or applied class?  If it's in stat theory, I could see a B hurting if you don't have more advanced classes.  I don't imagine the applied classes matter as much, and a 3.96 is great anyways.  A lot will probably depend on your letters, so I'd apply to a wider range as well.

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately the B is in a theory class (took 3~4 theory classes and got B in the one I just took) and that's what concerns me the most. I'm thinking about compensating for this by taking grad level real analysis next semester (but perhaps won't get grades back by the time of application). Would you suggest doing so or spend more time on research and other statistics/biostatistics electives? 

2 hours ago, bstat95 said:

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately the B is in a theory class (took 3~4 theory classes and got B in the one I just took) and that's what concerns me the most. I'm thinking about compensating for this by taking grad level real analysis next semester (but perhaps won't get grades back by the time of application). Would you suggest doing so or spend more time on research and other statistics/biostatistics electives? 

I think that taking graduate level analysis would look better than the other options. You could also take a PhD-level theory class, but I think the graduate analysis class would look better.

• 1 month later...

Hi @bayessays and @StatsG0d, sorry to bother again. I've been looking at PhD options lately and I'm pretty drawn to the research of several faculties at UCLA Statistics (e.g., Handcock, Hartman, Hazlett) instead of Biostatistics. I feel that the work of these Stat faculties are more aligned with my interests and experiences. However, I'm less familiar with Stat PhD admissions compared to Biostat and coming from a public health/biostat background, I wonder how my application would be viewed and if this is a realistic aim. Would appreciate hearing your thoughts about this! Thanks!

Edited by bstat95