shatterpoint11

Hey everyone,

I am going to be a senior next year and start applying for a masters. I want to follow your original advice and you told me learn the languages at a 3 year maximum masters program. I am currently at a overall GPA of 3.07 and major GPA  of 3.6. I am currently a history major and most of my classes are in Egyptology. Classes that have covered the Pre-Dynastic period to the fall of the new kingdom, Egyptian Archaeology, and Egyptian Ritual and Magic. Well I am the treasurer of my History Club, I published an article 2 years ago in my university's department student run history journal. I was also an editor for it this year. I have hosted guest speaker talks for my history club multiple times. From topics touching lgbtq history, Chicano history, Theology, Chinese history, Japanese history. I am a former Jehovah's Witness who got motivated to pursue this field. After I was revealed that my own religion's bible was translated erroneously. I was 19 when I left and became catholic 2 years ago. I however resigned from my church in February because I could not agree with the doctrine of Papal Supremacy, married clergy, I am pro-choice, pro-female ordination, and for blessing LGBT unions/marriages. But the last three reasons I kept to myself in my letter of resignation. I have been attending a orthodox church lately but I think I might just become episcopal after a three bible scholars asvised me through email to go where I feel most comfortable. Do not worry about apostolic succession or the fact that you are pro-choice, or being called a heretic." So that another reason I would want to go to Yale. Because YDS from what I hear is super ecumenical. I also hear that YDS is a place where I get a mix of both an academic setting, but also provide me religious resources. I would also like to be ordained in the church and would like to do it through Berkley Divinity School. My end goal is a PhD but I would also like to work as a priest and educator. I want a masters where I can learn the languages because I go to a public university in the inland empire.  I just gotta ask what are my chances of getting into any of these schools. Does my life experiences help my chances. Please do not laugh at my list.

I would like to apply to these school Fuller Theological Seminary, Loyola Chicago, Catholic University of America, Yale Divinity School, Harvard Divinity School, Duke Divinity  School, Emory Divnity School, Boston College, and Princeton Theological Seminary.

I hope somebody can advise me. Thank you. 

As I have been told many times, your chances of getting into the MA vs. the MDiv at the programs you mentioned are very different. (MDiv programs tend to be significantly less competitive in admissions.) That said, I think you have a good chance of getting into any of the MDiv programs listed.

If you want to become an Episcopal priest, there are very specific requirements you will want to keep in mind from the outset. There are others on this forum who can speak to the specifics more directly, but at the very least I can say that any non episcopal seminary/divinity school you attend should satisfy the church’s “Anglican year” requirement. I go to PTS and we have plenty of episcopal students who are on the ordination track and are able to satisfy this requirement through the MDiv program.

No, not sure if that is possible in any of the programs mentioned. Generally concentrations are offered in MA(TS) or ThM programs.”

Have you started attending an episcopal church? Generally before you can even officially have this conversation with your rector and bishop, they're going to require that you've been attending a church for a year.

Attending YDS and knocking out Anglican courses at Berkeley would obviously be nice. But, if you're looking to start this process in school be weary of the timeline! You'd be starting a Parish Discernment Committee sometime around your second year, which generally have to run at least six months. Assuming you get through all of that and they go "Okay! We'll ordain you!" you're then required by canon law to wait another eighteen months. You'd be right at the end of your M.Div then and some bishops aren't fond of ordaining people and then having them go somewhere else. Some are! Some bishops take a strict "I'm ordaining you for my diocese" while others take a "I'm ordaining you for the Church." Try to get a feel of this early in the process.

If you have questions, concerns, or thoughts I'm glad to try and help! I'm a priest down in the way too hot state of Texas.

1 hour ago, xypathos said:

Have you started attending an episcopal church? Generally before you can even officially have this conversation with your rector and bishop, they're going to require that you've been attending a church for a year.

Attending YDS and knocking out Anglican courses at Berkeley would obviously be nice. But, if you're looking to start this process in school be weary of the timeline! You'd be starting a Parish Discernment Committee sometime around your second year, which generally have to run at least six months. Assuming you get through all of that and they go "Okay! We'll ordain you!" you're then required by canon law to wait another eighteen months. You'd be right at the end of your M.Div then and some bishops aren't fond of ordaining people and then having them go somewhere else. Some are! Some bishops take a strict "I'm ordaining you for my diocese" while others take a "I'm ordaining you for the Church." Try to get a feel of this early in the process.

If you have questions, concerns, or thoughts I'm glad to try and help! I'm a priest down in the way too hot state of Texas.

I only started last week. I cannot actually go since everything is online. I have a lot of catholic friends who are conservative as heck and when I told them I wanted to explore orthodoxy they were disappointed but they still were like ok its orthodoxy. If I tell them I am considering the episcopal church I fear they will call me a heretic who does not recognize apostolic succession. I havent gone public with me being interested in the Episcopal church. Anything you recommend? 

2 hours ago, Nate_jitsu11 said:

I only started last week. I cannot actually go since everything is online. I have a lot of catholic friends who are conservative as heck and when I told them I wanted to explore orthodoxy they were disappointed but they still were like ok its orthodoxy. If I tell them I am considering the episcopal church I fear they will call me a heretic who does not recognize apostolic succession. I havent gone public with me being interested in the Episcopal church. Anything you recommend? 

No worries on the Covid-19 front. It'll be interesting to see how this all impacts discernment processes for people. That said, it'll give you a glimpse of liturgy at least. Something I want to stress though is that TEC is a wide tent. We have your low church parishes that your Methodist and Baptist would find to be very familiar, and we also have very high church parishes that are virtually indistinguishable from Catholic parishes. So don't be afraid to go church shopping.

Apostolic succession is still live and well in The Episcopal Church (TEC). If they're genuinely your friends, they'll understand that you're seeking out something that feels authentic to you. I tend to not get engaged with people that want to fight over orthodoxy. It's a losing battle when you consider the full scope of history and what orthodoxy entails. No one calls themselves heterodox - it's only used by people that want to create a fake litmus test to what it means to be Christian. Simply, it's a move that values power over relationship.

Edited by xypathos

2 hours ago, xypathos said:

No worries on the Covid-19 front. It'll be interesting to see how this all impacts discernment processes for people. That said, it'll give you a glimpse of liturgy at least. Something I want to stress though is that TEC is a wide tent. We have your low church parishes that your Methodist and Baptist would find to be very familiar, and we also have very high church parishes that are virtually indistinguishable from Catholic parishes. So don't be afraid to go church shopping.

Apostolic succession is still live and well in The Episcopal Church (TEC). If they're genuinely your friends, they'll understand that you're seeking out something that feels authentic to you. I tend to not get engaged with people that want to fight over orthodoxy. It's a losing battle when you consider the full scope of history and what orthodoxy entails. No one calls themselves heterodox - it's only used by people that want to create a fake litmus test to what it means to be Christian. Simply, it's a move that values power over relationship.

Yes I want something like I would experience at my old catholic parish. To me the most beautiful liturgy is the divine liturgy of St. John of Chrystsom. However I feel at home in the episcopal because it is high church. I am worried about my friends because I havent gone public with the fact I am pro-female ordination, and very pro-choice, they think these ideas are heresy. Also if I get ordained in the episcopal church. Can I ever end up serving in england? Because I would like to serve in england and be an academic at a college as well. 

2 hours ago, xypathos said:

Yes I want something like I would experience at my old catholic parish. To me the most beautiful liturgy is the divine liturgy of St. John of Chrystsom. However I feel at home in the episcopal because it is high church. I am worried about my friends because I havent gone public with the fact I am pro-female ordination, and very pro-choice, they think these ideas are heresy. Also if I get ordained in the episcopal church. Can I ever end up serving in england? Because I would like to serve in england and be an academic at a college as well. Also one last thing what is the anglican communion defense when their apostolic succession is called to question?

16 hours ago, Nate_jitsu11 said:

Yes I want something like I would experience at my old catholic parish. To me the most beautiful liturgy is the divine liturgy of St. John of Chrystsom. However I feel at home in the episcopal because it is high church. I am worried about my friends because I havent gone public with the fact I am pro-female ordination, and very pro-choice, they think these ideas are heresy. Also if I get ordained in the episcopal church. Can I ever end up serving in england? Because I would like to serve in england and be an academic at a college as well. Also one last thing what is the anglican communion defense when their apostolic succession is called to question?

Regarding succession, it depends on how technical you want to get. Anglican historians contend that Matthew Parker's consecration as Bishop of Canterbury fulfilled all of the "mechanical/manual" requirements, which the Roman Catholic agreed with. But, Rome contended that there was a problem with "form" and rendered it null and void on this premise. Keep in mind that Parker's consecration happened in the 16th century and it wasn't until the 19th century that Rome drafted a resolution opposing Parker's consecration. The theory is that someone in attendance kept meticulous records, which Rome conveniently obtained, but unfortunately were unable to share. Anglicans just laughed and ignored them. A former professor once shared a pithy saying about it but I don't fully recall it. In short, it's a rebuke that apostolic succession is not actually about literal laying on hands but instead commitment to the Church's original teaching.

Per England, yes - episcopal priests ordained within TEC are capable of serving anywhere within the Anglican Communion. That said, it's not easy but not exactly hard! The big issue that you're going to face is the country's immigration laws but fortunately the UK is fairly lax when it comes to clergy. The second issue is justifying why you need/want to serve in the UK rather than the US, where you were ordained. If you're willing to serve in an area that Anglican priests consider less desirable - Liverpool, far upper northern England, etc., it's generally easier to find a diocese or parish willing to go to bat for you. By policy though UK bishops require that you interview in person though. So that can be a heavy expense!

Regarding academics in the UK: several times a year UK schools open up fellowships for priests ordained within the Anglican Communion to come to a UK school (usually Oxford, Cambridge, or Durham) and study for a DPhil (completely free with room and board), in exchange for working as a college chaplain for 3-5 years. These positions are extremely competitive but fortunately they rarely take a EU citizen. Also, you still have to go through the normal process of applying and finding a faculty member to sponsor you so it's not a shortcut at all.

9 hours ago, xypathos said:

Regarding succession, it depends on how technical you want to get. Anglican historians contend that Matthew Parker's consecration as Bishop of Canterbury fulfilled all of the "mechanical/manual" requirements, which the Roman Catholic agreed with. But, Rome contended that there was a problem with "form" and rendered it null and void on this premise. Keep in mind that Parker's consecration happened in the 16th century and it wasn't until the 19th century that Rome drafted a resolution opposing Parker's consecration. The theory is that someone in attendance kept meticulous records, which Rome conveniently obtained, but unfortunately were unable to share. Anglicans just laughed and ignored them. A former professor once shared a pithy saying about it but I don't fully recall it. In short, it's a rebuke that apostolic succession is not actually about literal laying on hands but instead commitment to the Church's original teaching.

Per England, yes - episcopal priests ordained within TEC are capable of serving anywhere within the Anglican Communion. That said, it's not easy but not exactly hard! The big issue that you're going to face is the country's immigration laws but fortunately the UK is fairly lax when it comes to clergy. The second issue is justifying why you need/want to serve in the UK rather than the US, where you were ordained. If you're willing to serve in an area that Anglican priests consider less desirable - Liverpool, far upper northern England, etc., it's generally easier to find a diocese or parish willing to go to bat for you. By policy though UK bishops require that you interview in person though. So that can be a heavy expense!

Regarding academics in the UK: several times a year UK schools open up fellowships for priests ordained within the Anglican Communion to come to a UK school (usually Oxford, Cambridge, or Durham) and study for a DPhil (completely free with room and board), in exchange for working as a college chaplain for 3-5 years. These positions are extremely competitive but fortunately they rarely take a EU citizen. Also, you still have to go through the normal process of applying and finding a faculty member to sponsor you so it's not a shortcut at all.

Wow this is great. I just introduced myself to the local priest at my parish and she's a woman so that great. She will meet with me in virtual chat and talk to me.