Advisor moving to new uni?

_returningjour

I never thought I would be in the center of such drama... 

So my professor decided to move to a new university..
And I'm considering my options whether to:

1. Go with my advisor
2. Switch to new advisor and stick with the current phd program
3. Don't switch advisor, stay on with remote phd mentorship (time zone difference is a killer: Asia Pacific- US California)

Short background:
I met my advisor as a colleague 10 years ago in U.S. while I was doing master's. (advisor was a PhD student back then.)
Then I graduated and got a job. Worked for 5 years.
During this time, my advisor had graduated, joined and left a industry job to start his post-doc in a new university. 
His work place and the postdoc univ. were both nearby my neighborhood, so we would to occasionally meet up for a coffee and beers to catch up.

Then he became a professor in Asia and asked me whether I would be interested in starting a phd under him, I thought about it for a while and decided to try it.
I followed him to Asia because I trusted his expertise in the field, work ethics and professionalism that I saw during our years of interesting discussions.
Now I'm 2 years into the phd program and he got an offer from a US university (~top 20 rank in USnews, ~100 rank in QS world rank for my area).
The current Asian university is ranked top 10 in QS world universities for my field.

I originally decided to start this program because of my advisor.
But I'm worried whether a US university would recognize my academic standing as a 3rd year phd student.
Will they ask me to retake quals and start from 1st or 2nd year phd? 

Anyone with similar experience? Any word of advice?

What option would you guys choose with the situation I'm in?

52 minutes ago, _returningjour said:

Will they ask me to retake quals and start from 1st or 2nd year phd? 

Anyone with similar experience? Any word of advice?

What option would you guys choose with the situation I'm in?

This strongly varies per university, and the only way to know is to ask them. Plus what Quals are may also vary.

Other things to consider are

1) what is your offer in terms of funding and the like in the US (and did you get an offer? Usually you have apply before you can just hop over, although exceptions are there). Given that funding is tight, this may influence a lot. Also, just because you have an advisor there doesn't necessarily mean they'd take you. 

2) What are resources like in general (e.g., money, RAs, etc.) and other things such as classes that may benefit you. Similarly, do you feel fit to the department etc.

3) If you want to stay in academia, which university may give you an edge on the job market

4) Is there any other faculty you want to collaborate with. At both places, not necessarily as an advisor but also as someone to run a project with. In the end, if you want to stay in academia, you also want multiple people to vouch for you

5) Which place do you also prefer to live/work/etc.? Do you have a partner that may complicate things? Visas you need to consider? Etc.

My advisor moved around due to unforeseen circumstances and we've always made it work - I would also ask your adivsor for his/her advise on this to be honest. They may know other things that matter to you too.

25 minutes ago, PokePsych said:

This strongly varies per university, and the only way to know is to ask them. Plus what Quals are may also vary.

I recommend that you look into staying where you are while having the professor who is moving remain on your committee and being your mentor.

If you look into going with him, I recommend that you should not be surprised if you are told that you will have to start from square one if you come to the U.S. from Asia, unless you can get something in writing from all approving authorities at your destination, including the graduate school, the department, the DGS, and people who would serve on your qualifying exam committee and even your dissertation committee.

If the person's decision to move has come as a surprise, you might want to take another look at your relationship with him.

Thanks for replying PokePsych and Sigaba,

To answer some questions,

On 6/11/2020 at 1:35 AM, PokePsych said:

1) what is your offer in terms of funding and the like in the US (and did you get an offer? Usually you have apply before you can just hop over, although exceptions are there). Given that funding is tight, this may influence a lot. Also, just because you have an advisor there doesn't necessarily mean they'd take you. 

2) What are resources like in general (e.g., money, RAs, etc.) and other things such as classes that may benefit you. Similarly, do you feel fit to the department etc.

3) If you want to stay in academia, which university may give you an edge on the job market

4) Is there any other faculty you want to collaborate with. At both places, not necessarily as an advisor but also as someone to run a project with. In the end, if you want to stay in academia, you also want multiple people to vouch for you

5) Which place do you also prefer to live/work/etc.? Do you have a partner that may complicate things? Visas you need to consider? Etc.

1. My advisor told me in the last meeting that he has 3 types of funding, which I will be receiving as an independent or in combination.
a) RA b) TA c) joint co-advisor scheme with larger and more famous lab prof in the new university
I haven't actually gotten details about the new univ. admission as the final hiring process is being delayed due to COVID and other administrative things.. I think verbal offer is made and accepted but the paperwork is taking time. So this transition is not 100% official as of yet (maybe 90%..).

2. Honestly, I feel like I don't belong here in Asia, particularly because I am a US citizen living in foreign country with a VISA, educated in the states and worked mostly in the states. So going back to US is also quite exciting aside from all the tedious admission process to go through.. Plus, I still have my address and tax record in the state that the new university (it is a state univ.) is located at, so I believe I can reinstate my residency status to cut down my tuition for the worst case of self-funding.
Back to your question of my financial status, it is up in the air if I choose to stay. Funding process here is very bureaucratic and not flexible at all... I might end up self funding the rest of 2 years if no professor is willing to fund my research.

3. US universities in general have edge on the job market.

4. There is another professor that I have good relationship with. And it is mostly likely that his lab that I will join when I remain here. I'm close with all the members in his lab also, we collaborate a lot and hold seminars together for new research ideas and etc. So yes, this can be an option for me, but the funding is uncertain.

5. I would definitely prefer working in US, but if I go academia, Asia is OK too.. in terms of safety, pressure and less challenging to live. I don't have a VISA issue as I'm a US citizen. And yes, I am currently in a relationship here, but my partner is willing to relocate with me.

On 6/11/2020 at 2:12 AM, Sigaba said:

I recommend that you look into staying where you are while having the professor who is moving remain on your committee and being your mentor.

If you look into going with him, I recommend that you should not be surprised if you are told that you will have to start from square one if you come to the U.S. from Asia, unless you can get something in writing from all approving authorities at your destination, including the graduate school, the department, the DGS, and people who would serve on your qualifying exam committee and even your dissertation committee.

If the person's decision to move has come as a surprise, you might want to take another look at your relationship with him.

Well, he has given some ambiguous comments and we joked about returning to the states, but I always thought it wasn't a serious consideration... This is my fault.. I wasn't paying much attention for the possibility.

I agree there are still a lot of things I need to figure out at this point to make the right decision. I need more information which will be more visible once things get official.

It would be just a bit discouraging if I have to restart everything from coursework, prelims and etc... That would be simply denying my effort for the past 18 months at this university.

On 6/12/2020 at 12:18 AM, _returningjour said:

That would be simply denying my effort for the past 18 months at this university.

If such an outcome comes to pass, I would recommend that you not take it personally. With each doctorate it issues, an institution puts its reputation on the line, as do committee members.