Taking Real Analysis this Fall

Hello,

I'll be a Senior applying to MS/PhD programs in the Fall. I was gonna take a light course load so I can focus on grad school applications...but it seems like I'll be taking Linear Analysis, Upper-Level Statistics (Experimental Design), and Real Analysis II 

Questions:

1) How much time should I devote to grad school applications in the Fall? Is it possible to write all the personal statements for schools I'm applying to in the summer and just submitting the applications in the Fall?

2) In Real Analysis I, I got a 3.0 cuz it was extremely challenging, and I'm not confident for Real Analysis II cuz....its just really hard lol. So, my question is..would grad schools be okay with a 3.0~3.5 in Real Analysis I and II? In all my other math/stats classes, I mostly have A- or A's but this real analysis is killing me.

3) Would it be better if I take all Math/Stats courses in the Fall so I can put them on my apps, instead of taking 1 writing class to fulfill my gen ed prereqs? 

Thanks,

1.) You don't really need to personalize your personal statement too much. See the post from cyberwulf.

2.) I think it depends. Many biostatistics programs have students who have never even taken real analysis, so I think for these programs getting a B will matter a lot less. For most statistics programs, I don't think it looks great, but I don't think it will necessarily auto-reject your application.

3.) I don't think it will matter much if you have just one more class. I'd probably take the writing class because you might need a break from all that math in one semester.

1. I spent like 20 minutes on a personal statement.  You could easily do all your grad school applications in an afternoon. It is not a time consuming process (as opposed to applying to colleges, where you likely have to write school-specific essays that are important).

2. Depends on how much more upper level math you have. A B is fine, but it will hurt more if you don't have other proof you are good at math. If you go to a difficult school or are applying to programs outside the top 20, it will matter less. 

3. Just take the writing class.  Your application is pretty set, so take one or two classes that will add to that and don't stress about cramming in a bunch of math to boost your profile. 

5 minutes ago, bayessays said:

1. I spent like 20 minutes on a personal statement.  You could easily do all your grad school applications in an afternoon. It is not a time consuming process (as opposed to applying to colleges, where you likely have to write school-specific essays that are important).

2. Depends on how much more upper level math you have. A B is fine, but it will hurt more if you don't have other proof you are good at math. If you go to a difficult school or are applying to programs outside the top 20, it will matter less. 

3. Just take the writing class.  Your application is pretty set, so take one or two classes that will add to that and don't stress about cramming in a bunch of math to boost your profile. 

2. Here are the courses I've taken so far:

Calc I-III, differential equations, two terms of linear algebra (applied topics), one term of mathematical proofs, one term of real analysis, intro to probability, intro to statistical inference,  statistical computing, data visualization (ggplot2), intro to programming (java), intro to machine learning

(I also go to a Top 10 Statistics school according to US News)

Is this enough math for a PhD program in Biostatistics or Statistics?

27 minutes ago, player-tracking-data said:

Is this enough math for a PhD program in Biostatistics or Statistics?

It would be helpful if you posted your whole profile (with grades, etc.), but yeah, this is definitely enough

• 2 weeks later...