Applying to terminal MA programs

sophsan

Hello!

I was a Political Science/Theology major for my B.A. I graduated from a liberal arts college with a 3.84. I got decent GRE scores: 163 verbal 153 quant. I have been wanting to make a career transition into art history, and I am well-studied in the subject for someone who has only done independent study. I think I might like to pursue Ph.D. level work in Art History, so I want to do my M.A. somewhere reputable. Does it seem unlikely I'd be admitted to a reputable MA (like Williams) without doing some undergrad or community college art history course work first?

Also any thoughts on the Corcoran school at GW?

Thanks in advance for any advice : ) 

Hey look at Courtauld! I was also accepted to GW, they are supportive, but don't help financially very much. I got the top funding from them and it only covers 1/3 of the cost... They are great but heavy focus on American and museum work. The faculty was the only school has actively recruited me which I loved. What are you wanting to focus on?

I also graduated in Pol Sci (and 2 other majors) and not Art History was fine, but i did have a minor and did take art history classes so I think you will be fine.

Hey @sophsan!  I'd also add that you'll want to do the work in your statement of purpose of weaving in the connections between your BA major and your plans for your MA.  Political Science and Theology could definitely have ideological underpinnings that relate to your planned work in art history.  Use that to your advantage -- position yourself as particularly unique because you have this wider background.

I'd also suggest emphasizing some of that added research experience you mentioned.  Something your readers will be concerned about is that art history has a particular way of writing history -- visual analysis being the most obvious facet, but the discipline differs in many more subtle ways too.  If you can prove that you are prepared to write and speak about art history as art historians do -- or that you are taking the steps towards gaining that experience either through courses or specific guided learning -- that will definitely cover you. 

An MA (even a very reputable one) is still meant to be training before the PhD, so it's the perfect step as you transition from another field.  You don't need to apologize for the fact that you don't have a BA in Art History, because it may be to your credit to have a different perspective than many of your peers, even if your intended field is less so directly related to your undergrad majors.  And those GRE scores are great -- also keep in mind the rest of your resume (writing experience, any internships or work experience, languages, travel, etc. can also help your application!)

Other MAs to look at too -- Tufts, UPenn, and CUNY.  Good luck!