macro concentration

LML2021

Hello! I’ve been doing my due diligence and research trying to find MSW programs and schools that have a macro concentration. Specifically with a policy specialization.  I’m in NY and have been attending multiple online Information sessions so I could apply by the priority deadlines for Fall 2021. (I will be an Advanced Standing student)

Through the postings on here I have read and learned that once licensure is secured, career options mostly depend on field work, volunteer opportunities and how well you’ve networked.  

I was hoping someone could offer guidance on their decision making if they have decided to go the macro route. Was field work opportunities/placement  the biggest factor in your decision? 

Columbia is known for their policy program, but I just don’t feel any school is worth that price tag.  I have meetings with Fordham and Rutgers that I hope will go better. 

any information and all guidance is greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Paisley123 said:

I’m hoping you gain some real insight because I’m interested in the same focus and looking at the same schools. Do tell!

Thanks! You as well! It seems almost every school with an MSW program has a clinical focus. Finding a macro program almost immediately limits all options. 
Is there any school you are leaning towards or have a preference for a particular reason? 

I'm leaning toward Rutgers. They have a big macro program with many options for certificates.  They also have a 100% online option if you want to check it out.  its way, way cheaper than Columbia.  There is also Ramapo College in northern NJ.  I think they have a few new yorkers there.  And then the College of Staten Island has a macro focus but the whole school is bent on the disability population. 

Finally,  i am considering Seton Hall because although they don't have a particular focus macro/direct they do have a forensics focus with a generalist approach.  I am considering them because they are a small school and I don't know if I want to do a huge university again.  I am a Hunter graduate.

I’m a college of Staten Island grad, which is why Im not necessarily looking to stay within the CUNY system. Hunter doesn’t seem to have a policy focus either, but I emailed their program director to see if I can maybe develop a path that would fit what I am looking for. They’ve yet to respond. 
Right now I’m leaning towards Fordham. And have been looking at Rutgers and Monmouth university because they work a lot with the U.N. I’m hoping my Open house sessions give me more insight. 
Since I would be An advanced standing student, I just want a supportive field advisor / program that has the policy specialization so I can maximize the potential field placement opportunity.

In a COVID-19 world, I wonder if it would just be appropriate to look at online schools who have already developed successful Online MSW programs. 

i hope you come back and fill me in on your choices! And, good luck! 

Did you know any msw students at CSI? Im looking at them because they have macro focus but am hesitant because i live in nj and want to have some colleagues I’m likely to work with again. And licensure in nj... its a small school and im wondering if its worth applying. 

let me know where you end up applying!

update on my search:

I know a Fordham MSW grad and she has me now leaning toward them.  I could start in January with their online program rather than wait for Rutgers in the fall.  They are pricey but they have the policy focus and seem to do a good job of helping the online students feel engaged.

I'm not really thinking about the Staten Island program any longer.  I reached out to their program director and didn't get the warm and fuzzies talking to her.  There isn't much room for electives and as an out of state student I'll pay the same as I would for Fordham.  Why not go online and get the private college experience?

Sorry, I hadn’t seen this earlier. I wouldn’t recommend the CSI program, so I am glad that you aren’t looking much into them. 
Fordham Has been my front runner, mainly because I am in NY  and the class work and program just seems perfect.  So I’m really glad that you know a Fordham grad and came to a similar conclusion yourself. I’ve even found videos on YouTube of their program/field advisor discussing how they want to have more macro focused students and that the possibilities with a macro focus are endless. Which is what I want in a program. Whenever I have spoken to anyone, they have tried to steer me towards a clinical focus especially for licensure and then they’ll say “go after those macro jobs”.  I have an online information session this Wednesday with Fordham. I don’t know if you can sign up for one yourself, but I will definitely report back any information you may be interested in! 

Edited by LML2021

I started my application to Fordham last night. They called me this morning to have me hurry up and finish it.  I called my friend who went to Hunter years ago. Her husband went to Columbia.  I wanted to see what they thought of a degree from Fordham and they both had positive things to say - both policy people.

I can't find any online info sessions posted to their website.  What time is yours?  I'll see if I can get into it.

So funny - the admissions advisor (who only apparently knows of the online program) said there was no info session on Weds.  It was there under the in-seat program. So I signed up for it. 

1 hour ago, Paisley123 said:

So funny - the admissions advisor (who only apparently knows of the online program) said there was no info session on Weds.  It was there under the in-seat program. So I signed up for it. 

I was going to say I just got an email from the Fordham GSS Program to remind me I had the information session tomorrow at 3:30! ?? I know it’s happening! 
Genuinely, i appreciate you letting me know that people within the policy world put value on Fordham And on the program. It has where I had been leaning from doing my research. I’m excited that you even came to a similar belief To apply. And, that the school has been incredibly prompt that they called you this morning! That is the kind of program and support I am looking for!  I’m excited that you will have the opportunity to start in January!  Hopefully tomorrow’s information session will have us confirm our feelings about the program! 

my info session is on weds the 15th.  let me know what you think. Some insight:  you have to take what session they think you can handle.  so if i say i want the 16.5 month cohort they may deem me only able to do the 24 month one cause its a slightly lighter work load.  16.5 months sounds intense! 

Anyway,  updates!  please let me know what you find that is promising or otherwise. I too like the guidance through everything.  So unlike CUNY's sink or swim environment.

I have my BSW with a gpa way above 3.0 as well as fieldwork, so I actually qualify for the Advanced placement program. So I can get my MSW  in one year, it’s a qualification for any CSWE approved school.. anywhere across the country. They just need to be an accredited program with the CSWE. Which is a blessing since I thankfully save money. 

Yay! we are attending the same information session this Wednesday 7/15 at 3:30 And, I have a Rutgers Open house next Monday 7/20 at 5pm. 

I will definitely keep you updated on anything else I find out. Especially since we view CUNY the same way, it’s figure it out yourself & hunt down the person for an answer and pray it’s the RIGHT answer. 

check out this video about field placements at Fordham, this solidified my opinion on them months ago since I hadn’t Heard ANYONE speak as passionately about pursuing a macro specialization. I wanted to go to a school that valued my choice and would support it! 

1 hour ago, Paisley123 said:

This video excellent, exactly what I need to hear.

I'm jealous of you.  I graduated long ago and not with a great GPA.  I'm hoping they take me.

I read in another post while I’ve looked every where for information that Fordham has a good 65-70% acceptance rate. They also really look at the whole person And situation. Also, if they were to deny you,  you can ask for them to reconsider and they may give you an interview to assess.  Apparently many students here have posted about someone Who works in the social work office at Fordham having A lower undergrad gpa and he too needed To argue to be accepted into the MSW program. 

same with financial aid/ merit aid. You can email them back for a reconsideration, especially if Another school offered you more aid. 
I have absolutely done some major research on every school/ program! ???

Thoughts? I know she said if you planned on doing the fully online course you should check out another information session. 

I think I’m fully heart-eyed and confident in this being my first choice. 

it was great.  I went right to working on my essay after it.  I'm glad she said it was ok to get another recommender.  I texted my volunteer supervisor immediately and she will do my second letter.   This session got me interested in going in to the campus.  If I could coordinate my courses to all be on Saturday I could then take advantage of what the scholarships offer and libraries. I do enjoy face-to-face courses and might prefer it.  I'm all in on Fordham now.

On the other hand the online courses being one at a time is attractive too.  Are you still thinking of going to campus?

Do you live in the city or in the tri-state? Have you worked on your essay?

4 hours ago, Paisley123 said:

it was great.  I went right to working on my essay after it.  I'm glad she said it was ok to get another recommender.  I texted my volunteer supervisor immediately and she will do my second letter.   This session got me interested in going in to the campus.  If I could coordinate my courses to all be on Saturday I could then take advantage of what the scholarships offer and libraries. I do enjoy face-to-face courses and might prefer it.  I'm all in on Fordham now.

On the other hand the online courses being one at a time is attractive too.  Are you still thinking of going to campus?

Do you live in the city or in the tri-state? Have you worked on your essay?

I do live in NYC. So it would be in state tuition and I would be traveling to Lincoln center. Face to face is my preferred way to learn and definitely would appreciate the access to all of the benefits the campus offers, especially the merit scholarship! Plus, living in a Covid-19 world we never know when things could just be uprooted to online learning again. Knowing that  they have already an established online program and curriculum means there won’t be as much disturbance and uncertainty If it happened again. That was a huge relief. 

I haven’t started any application Or essay  because I am aiming to begin in fall of 2021. As an advanced standing student, I need to start in the fall semester so I will probably start my application/essay around this October! 

I absolutely loved that she said classes will probably be smaller, 6-10 students instead of the normal 15-20. That probably means that they will have more flexibility with times because they will need more classes/classrooms. So you could probably easily have a full Saturday schedule! I Also appreciated that placements will be so tailored to the population and area in which you want to work and accessible to where you live! It seems they truly try to work with you! And, support the direction you want to go in. 

this was my third MSW graduate  information session this month, Fordham easily blew the others away in how informative it was and the variety of modalities you could apply for.  If you’re still interested or weighing your options, maybe you could utilize the emails she posted to learn more about the online program.  Are you doing a part time or accelerated program beginning in January? 

I will definitely check out that video, thank you! 
my next information session is on Monday 7/20 at 5pm for Rutgers, if you’re also interested in attending that one. 

My heart may be set but I still think it’s best to apply to at least 3 schools! At the very least we could use any financial aid- merit scholarships against each other for more $$! 

hi,

For Fordham in state and out of state don't matter- its private.  So you are all good there. 

I did a Rutgers info session.  Here residency will count. And they have a complicated formula for tuition if you end up doing their blended program (online and in seat). Rutgers was my first choice before exploring Fordham.  I had planned on a Fall 2021 start date and if I get rejected from Fordham for Spring 2021 I will apply to Rutgers for next Fall.  I have already applied to take one of their non-matriculated courses which are all online by default this Fall. For me it would be cheaper to aim for Rutgers as the total cost for two years would be less than $40k.  I'm just not that impressed with their student relations vibe.  They have bigger classes at 25-30 and the director let it slip that they will probably max out on that with people afraid to attend (so they'll offer fewer sections to save $). Don't get me wrong - they are a great school and as good as gold here in NJ.  I just want the special attention a private institution offers. 

I have spoken to a graduate of the macro program who now works in the admissions office.  He was pushing for me to stay local as my long term goal is to work in NJ government and field placement may be arranged with the legislature in the advanced year. 

At my age I kind of don't want to wait any longer so the idea of starting in spring is enticing but objectively Rutgers may be my best move.

I think making the best decision for you, both financially , mentally and emotionally is the best choice.  Especially in the long run. You want to have a good work-school -life balance. It’s a TON of reading, growing emotionally and papers. So many papers. Plus, fieldwork on top of all that. 
I agree, especially after fordham’s information session yesterday and hearing about your interactions with people in admissions this past week that the kindness and the way in which they engage students just makes it worth it. Especially since we both came from CUNY where there is never any support or direction. That makes all the difference for me. 

I’m an optimist by nature,  so I will project that you WILL be accepted by Fordham for January FULL TIME and that maybe we’ll have a class or two by next fall! I also believe Fordham would have excellent connections to have you doing fieldwork in NJ, especially within govt during your specialization year. You will probably develop Your own network which will help get the job you want! 

thanks for explaining Rutgers financial difference . I know they’re more rooted in research too, which I had enough of during my BSW. One of my BSW professors got their PhD from Rutgers And she spoke highly of the school.  Fiscally, Rutgers out of state tuition would be almost comparable to Fordham for me. at least based on what I’ve read. Plus, bridge tolls, gas & parking. (Fordham would be a train swipe to Columbus circle or express bus) I’m equi-distant to both campuses, but the New Brunswick area is adorable and closer to good friends I have in Jersey.   Finding a school with a macro Specialization & focus in policy is difficult. So at this point I’m open to all options! At least before applying. ?

I do have one question, your friend’s husband who went to Columbia. Does he think the price tag was worth the degree?

So I completed my application to Fordham this morning.  The essay was submitted.  My second recommender submitted her letter. She showed it to me and I was floored.  She's an excellent writer and really nailed what needed to be conveyed.  All to do there now is wait......tick....tock.

You sound like your fully aware of your needs and will make an informed, emotionally competent decision.  Its so good to talk to someone who is a recent CUNY student to gauge my observations against. Rutgers is the state school here - big as SUNY (in terms of all that they do for majors and they do churn out the research).  Tons of high profile alumni in and out of state.  Fantastic school. New Brunswick is cute.  My husband works at St. Peter's hospital in town; he went to Rutgers years ago and is always happy to return. No one can really go wrong there. 

My friend who graduated from Columbia about 12 years ago has an excellent career.  He runs the Florida program of a nonprofit that leverages victim testimony and advocacy in favor of giving juvenile defenders a second chance.  These kids are looking at life in prison,  or worse, and he works with the victims' families to get them services to get them leniency.  Amazing work.  He made excellent connections with his professors that got him where he is now. It wasn't a straight line, he has had a couple jobs.  But he was always this magnanimous person who was going to do great things.  He runs a podcast and organized marches, etc and so on and what have you.  His wife (one of my best and oldest friends) went to Hunter at the same time.  She has no loans and he is still paying off his.  His regret is that he didn't go to law school as he is constantly schooling lawyers on what is happening and yet they get more "respect" if that is the right word. He gets plenty of respect from judges, the press, etc because as soon as he says Columbia people listen.  

So to answer your question he is of two minds.  For the money he spent he should have gone all the way or done a dual degree. Yes Columbia is worth the $ especially for forensic and policy work.  You seem like you have a good portfolio and that you may get plenty of financial aid. And being advanced standing certainly helps. 

I have a neighbor ( a parent I know casually) who works for the Columbia Youth Justice Lab.  She has an MPP.  That is where I started but ended up coming back to MSW after talking to my two MSW married friends.  For what I want to do - community organizing and government engagement- MSW will offer the management experience, client experience and connections via fieldwork I need.  Have you looked into Master's in Public Policy?  Not sure what your goals are but I'm just throwing it out there.  Its less credits and since you will already have the BSW it may work for you. 

Let me know how your journey goes!