macro concentration

LML2021

Hi! Sorry I’m just getting to this, I went on a nice extended weekend getaway upstate. 

I am soo excited that you finished your application! You didn’t waste any time!  Now you just need to wait the next few weeks for review. I’m sure that you will get accepted and I hope you let me know! 

I also appreciate you giving me your friends’ consensus of getting his degree from Columbia.  It seems like quite the price tag  and as we’ve both have felt Fordham just feels like the smaller and supportive school environment we both are looking for.  But, I also wanted to apply to a few schools just to weigh my options and as hope I could use any merit/financial aid package as a tool to get another program to reconsider their initial offer. 

To answer your question, id love to have my MPH or even MPP. But, I too am a bit older as I took a few years before starting my undergrad.  Seeing as I have my BSW, and get to start a program as Advanced Standing I just believe right now getting my MSW with a policy specialization seems like the quickest And most economical way to begin the Trajectory for my career.  But, I’m not opposed to maybe in the future looking into obtaining a PhD or even a second masters if It’s beneficial. I’m hoping all Of my fieldwork during my BSW, volunteering, plus fieldwork during my MSW will at least make me appear as respected for a position If I had a masters in policy or public health. 

I also had the information session for Rutgers. The tuition disparity between in state and out of state. GEEEZ.  They also require 40 credits for Advanced Standing, which would mean 3 full semesters.  So I’m weighing my options, but I think right now I’ll be applying to Fordham, Columbia and Rutgers. 

• 3 weeks later...

hi.  So I got a call and email Monday that the application has gone into review and that it will take up to 6 weeks to get an answer.  I was kind of told my advisor at Fordham to hurry up because applications were coming in.  I think she forgot I'm applying for a January start and was trying to get as many applicants in for Fall as possible.  I'll be patient. 

Incidentally,  Rutgers furloughed or let go of 900 employees this summer.  They are mainly dining hall,  dormitory and adjunct staff.  The professors union is suing the school because they say the previous school president (they just got a new one in July) poured tens of millions of dollars into the sports programs despite no signs of returns on the investment. Good money after bad and that hurt the schools teaching staff.  

I wonder how this will effect the school.

@Paisley123 that seems like a total misuse of money and opportunity especially during this pandemic. Think of all the ways they could have secured more Cleaning crew/ Cleaning products or more adjuncts for smaller classes.   That’s genuinely disheartening & I hope the new school president makes better decisions that really support staff and students first & foremost. 
That was another disappointment during my information session from Rutgers. They said they’re lowering their class size to about 20 students, which is nothing when Fordham said classes will be 8-10 students max for in person instruction. 

I know it’s only August and you applied for January but I’m sure that you’d love the opportunity to plan, save and schedule your life for a January start! So having that answer is nerve wracking no matter what. ?? 

I still have faith that you’ll be accepted but just know you’re still in my thoughts! 

thanks.  I'm hoping to hear soon.  If I don't make it I'll keep trying other schools but this is my first choice and the only one for a January start.  I think I'm taking Rutgers off the list. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

The waiting is killing me.  UGH! I reached out to Fordham yesterday and my admissions counselor said applications usually take at least 6 weeks to be reviewed and that I'm in line for review.  I felt like she was putting me off.  She did say my application went in early for a January admission so that I shouldn't be worried.  Still....  I spoke to my friend who graduated from there 8 years ago and she thinks my overall application is very strong compared to what hers was like and what her classmates submissions looked like.

Recently, I ended up talking to the Asst Dean of Social work at Monmouth and they are still accepting people for Fall 2020 in the Global and Community Practice concentration so I applied.  Its the smaller of their two programs in a small school.  They are about the same price as Fordham and do work with the U.N. as well and are really active in Central NJ which is where I plan to work.   Admissions said they might accept me part time because of how late it is to get the right field placement.  I figured at my age it may be better to start part time than put off the whole thing for a year.

I hope I get in to one of these. just thought I'd give you an update.

Hii @Paisley123 !! I was just thinking about you because I went to start my own applications and nothing for fall 2021 is even available yet & was wondering if you were still waiting or had heard your decision!

im sorry that it has taken soo long to hear back from Fordham, I’m sure everything just seem sooo delayed with the start of the fall semester and the uncertainty of COVID. But, it’s still crazy that you’re only just in review! 
Like your friend, I believe you are just waiting for your acceptance. And if she appreciated the program and says your application is strong.. Just keep that faith and positivity. We should be graduating together in 2021! ?

During COVID, They haven’t seen the increase in school admissions that they had hoped. So I genuinely think that it will be fine. It is great that there is good communication with the faculty at Fordham too. Like we mentioned before, coming from CUNY that is such a benefit that is paramount in decision making. That support and communication feels so important.  

Monmouth University is a great school, one of my professors I took during my BSSW   graduated with her LMSW from there, she even worked in Guatemala and at the UN. They have a great relationship with the UN which could open a lot of opportunities for you. It was definitely a school I was looking at originally. But If I needed to go to campus For any reason it’s a 90 min+ drive on a good day, longer with shore traffic. But knowing that they have an established online program should also give you more confidence in their program. If the UN is a goal for you, I genuinely support that decision. 
it’s always good to have options!  Looking ahead at what the school offers is possible connections for fieldwork is super important. That was another issue my classmates & I experienced during my BSW. 

i know last time we spoke you decided not to pursue Rutgers. I recently came to the same decision after finding out that Stony Brook has a Manhattan campus and just this past semester they decided to accept students from their policy specialization. So it may be Fordham, Columbia & Stony brook. I’m anxious to start And finish my applications but nothing is available yet! 

Thank you again for letting me know! I hope they get back ASAP and you get some excellent financial/merit aid!  ??

hey @LML2021

thanks for the support.  I hope so.  when i've talked to others its seems this is normal.  I submitted all my materials but they have to mark it as complete and that took 2 weeks. So when I talk to them they say its only been three weeks and that they typically take 6 to review.  plus, I did it early for Jan 2021 admission.  That put me a little at ease. 

Keep all this in mind when you apply!

• 2 weeks later...

perhaps I will point out I came here to add to the macro thoughts as I went to NYU and took the macro track (really enjoyed it) but as the price tag is that of Columbia and I'm months late joining the conversation I figured just some support. if you are by chance interested in NYU for any reason, please ask away. 

@EJM What is the macro track at NYU? In my research I haven’t seen anything indicating they even had one.. NYU is significantly closer than Columbia if I needed to travel as I’m applying as advanced standing for fall 2021.  
what were your thoughts on the program ? 

Edit : thank you for commenting. You’ve piqued my interest! I’d love another /closer option! 

Edited by LML2021

Ah, I'm glad I said something. The macro track at NYU is one you apply to when you are in the program. I would say it is not as robust as I have heard some others to be due to the fact that you are not starting off your first set of class' in the macro track as all tracks have the same foundational education. When in the macro track your internship and I would say 1/3 (please don't quote me on the percentage) of your class is automatically changed to systems/leadership/development and you have options of using your electives to round it out. My practice course when from being lead by a clinician (and PhD) to an executive in residence (and former CEO of one of the leading social agencies). If you are 100% sure you want to be all macro and you are not interested in micro or even mezzo level work the first year would probably be annoying to you. I think on of the biggest advantages you would have if you went to NYU and joined the macro track would be the amount of access the school can give you. None of the other schools I have seen talked about here are anything at all to shake a stick at however there is a bit of a monopoly between CU and NYU for internships and grabbing up the most notable names in the area. I hear that half the time when going in for an interview the person conducting it is a Violet as well, but that's hearsay. I think my best advice I could give would be to contact the school and ask for information on the macro track (they might call it the micro-macro track, I can't remember) and ask about the current professors for it, along with internships or whatever sparks your interest and if they would say it is a good fit. I'm sure they will shy away from answering that last part too openly but hey, we are social workers, why not be blunt and go after what we want. Personally I loved it. I did not pick the school for it, but after a number of years working with high needs youth I saw big problems in the system and thought I would go clinical to create my own way to help. The macro track brought me right back to why I was there in the first place. 

I'm not sure how much help that last part is. I will wrap up by saying that the macro professor I had at NYU was one of my references in applying for my doctorate and also gave me a big leg up there too. The access is great, although maybe less so if all internships being currently held online. It is not a full on macro program, but a strong macro program when you are in it (I only went to one MSW program so I don't know what I think I am comparing it to... still I stand by it, it was a good building block for the DSW I am in, where I am focusing on leadership and program development). I hope there was something of use to you in there. I am happy to clarify or answer anything specific if it would continue to help.

@EJM I appreciate your input and opinion having gone through the program.  I don’t need the foundation year as I have my BSW, so I start with the specialization year and I am confident in wanting the macro route, specifically in policy and advocacy.  But, I’m open to strong programs  that do have excellent fieldwork opportunities.  Which is most of the specialization year with 21 hours a week spent in field.  I also value having a supportive program and advisor with good communication.  Like your professor’s recommendation for the DSW program. (Congrats & good luck by the way!)

I will reach out to NYU and see if they have any specific information. Even when I found the webpage for Macro it was barely a paragraph.  It might be a smaller program than clinical , but that could be In my best interest too.

right now I’m applying to Columbia, Fordham, Stonybrook-Manhattan campus (they just started taking macro students at that campus) and I’m looking for a fourth school just to give myself the best opportunity and make the best fiscal decision. So NYU could very well be a contender. 

Thank you again! And good luck finishing your DSW! 

• 4 months later...

Bringing this thread back

would love to know if anyone had any insight on if acceptance rates of macro specializations may be higher since most programs are normally smaller.

finished applications for 3 schools as an advanced standing student and the pressure waiting for the acceptance is killing me. 

On 1/31/2021 at 3:14 AM, LML2021 said:

Bringing this thread back

would love to know if anyone had any insight on if acceptance rates of macro specializations may be higher since most programs are normally smaller.

finished applications for 3 schools as an advanced standing student and the pressure waiting for the acceptance is killing me. 

Glad you brought this back, I checked a few days ago wondering how everyone was doing and if you were hearing back yet. 

I don't think I will ever forget waiting to get into my masters program. the constant checking my email and excitement the day the I actually started getting responses 

Did you end up sticking with Columbia, Fordham and Stonybrook?

5 hours ago, EJM said:

Glad you brought this back, I checked a few days ago wondering how everyone was doing and if you were hearing back yet. 

I don't think I will ever forget waiting to get into my masters program. the constant checking my email and excitement the day the I actually started getting responses 

Did you end up sticking with Columbia, Fordham and Stonybrook?

Yes! Those are the three schools that I applied to. Just didn't feel comfortable in a COVID-19 world applying to UPenn or any school that isn't easy to get to. I live in NYC and there are enough schools here with a great macro/policy program.  So far there is an acceptance from Fordham and a personal offer from Columbia to apply for a fellowship ( so i guess that means a formal acceptance is soon!?) 

I had looked into the NYU program you suggested and it is very research based, I have been doing a lot of quantifying data and research during this pandemic for community programs. I am a little researched out so decided to stick with the 3. haha 

Waiting for financial aid and *hopefully* the rest of the acceptances to make my final decision. Since I am advanced standing, it does make the financial burden a little easier. 

Thank you for asking though! How is your Doctorate programming going ? 

Hope you and your loved ones have been safe and well during this crazy year! 

Edited by LML2021

On 2/1/2021 at 7:26 PM, LML2021 said:

Yes! Those are the three schools that I applied to. Just didn't feel comfortable in a COVID-19 world applying to UPenn or any school that isn't easy to get to. I live in NYC and there are enough schools here with a great macro/policy program.  So far there is an acceptance from Fordham and a personal offer from Columbia to apply for a fellowship ( so i guess that means a formal acceptance is soon!?) 

I had looked into the NYU program you suggested and it is very research based, I have been doing a lot of quantifying data and research during this pandemic for community programs. I am a little researched out so decided to stick with the 3. haha 

Waiting for financial aid and *hopefully* the rest of the acceptances to make my final decision. Since I am advanced standing, it does make the financial burden a little easier. 

Thank you for asking though! How is your Doctorate programming going ? 

Hope you and your loved ones have been safe and well during this crazy year! 

I'm with you on moving/commuting during the pandemic and there really are so many good programs right here!

A fellowship app personal offer from Columbia sounds like a formal acceptance must be coming soon. If I remember my app with them correctly got a response before I was emailed to check the system. If you haven't checked lately, maybe you already have it waiting for you? (granted their system probably has changed in the last 10 years)

Congrats on Fordham!

Thanks for asking, its going really well. I am doing a bunch of data work right now myself -let me know if you want to do some extra credit data work before your school starts- and have found myself on some really cool research projects. Thankfully everyone in my close family has so far made it though the pandemic. Strangely one of the biggest changes is how many people are in school and can't go into class. We have all felt very privileged to have that be the thing we complain about. I hope you are your family are safe and healthy as well. And glad you are staying in NYC, the city is going to need a lot of support when we come out of covid-land (no pressure).

3 hours ago, EJM said:

I'm with you on moving/commuting during the pandemic and there really are so many good programs right here!

A fellowship app personal offer from Columbia sounds like a formal acceptance must be coming soon. If I remember my app with them correctly got a response before I was emailed to check the system. If you haven't checked lately, maybe you already have it waiting for you? (granted their system probably has changed in the last 10 years)

Congrats on Fordham!

Thanks for asking, its going really well. I am doing a bunch of data work right now myself -let me know if you want to do some extra credit data work before your school starts- and have found myself on some really cool research projects. Thankfully everyone in my close family has so far made it though the pandemic. Strangely one of the biggest changes is how many people are in school and can't go into class. We have all felt very privileged to have that be the thing we complain about. I hope you are your family are safe and healthy as well. And glad you are staying in NYC, the city is going to need a lot of support when we come out of covid-land (no pressure).

I am a NY girl through and through. I am sure I will be sticking it out long past this pandemic. Plus, I’ve had a lot of work this year with emergency management/ covid-19. Kind of excited how that will set me apart when the job search comes.  Thank you for the data-entry offer. I’ve applied for summer internships with the comptroller, UN & Doctors Without Borders. (Hopeful, but not holding my breath) still looking for more. 

I agree wholeheartedly about the privilege to have health, home and access to WiFi/computers to learn especially in a city that has been so disproportionately affected in so many ways, to so many people. But, I’m glad that everything has been well and you’ve had some cool research experience! 

I will check the Columba portal. Theyre not my top choice, but a fellowship could change that .??

Good luck with your research and all/any published papers in your future!