Columbia vs Fordham online MSW

I was just accepted to both programs. Columbia is ranked #3 (Fordham is #25) and has that Ivy League sparkle. But two things give me pause: the fact that it seems to focus on policy, rather than clinical; and the price. I want to become a therapist, I'm not that interested in macro/policy stuff. And Fordham is basically $35k cheaper than Columbia. Is Columbia worth $35k more for someone focusing on a micro/clinical track? Do rankings even matter in the field of Social Work?

PS, still waiting on BU, USC (which is a jaw-dropping $113k all-in), Rutgers and Denver, all of them online programs. So if you have thoughts on those, as well, please share!

• 2 weeks later...

If you’re  basing your choice on us news & world report rankings you may be disappointed. They are notoriously flawed as they rely too much Student input instead of objective data.
My friend loved the personal attention she got at fordham. As an older student it meant a world of difference as she was already concerned about being an outsider and “just a number”. She’s pushing me to apply but the price is giving me a scare. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going to school with the goal of becoming a clinician I would highly recommend going to the school with the best clinical training. Secondary thoughts go to where you live and if a school will give you specific connections during your schooling or access to advance your career post graduation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 12:10 PM, mydogismyoverlord said:

I was just accepted to both programs. Columbia is ranked #3 (Fordham is #25) and has that Ivy League sparkle. But two things give me pause: the fact that it seems to focus on policy, rather than clinical; and the price. I want to become a therapist, I'm not that interested in macro/policy stuff. And Fordham is basically $35k cheaper than Columbia. Is Columbia worth $35k more for someone focusing on a micro/clinical track? Do rankings even matter in the field of Social Work?

PS, still waiting on BU, USC (which is a jaw-dropping $113k all-in), Rutgers and Denver, all of them online programs. So if you have thoughts on those, as well, please share!

@mydogismyoverlordBy the way,  I talked to another person I hadn't even known had gone to Columbia.  He had the best time there 12 years ago and has a fantastic career now that he credits to his connections.  He's still paying crazy loans and will be for quite a while, despite the good income he is making.  He says it was worth it (he works in penalization reform) but the bills bug him. His wife went to a much cheaper school and he envies the fact that her choices in life aren't based on the money so much. 

did you decide on a school?  did you hear back from all your choices?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/15/2021 at 4:51 PM, nacholibre2003 said:

I did not have a good experience at Fordham personally. I am transferring schools.

Do you mind sharing? I just got accepted to their online program. I’m trying to decide between Fordham and Simmons.

3 hours ago, AnnieTodd said:

Do you mind sharing? I just got accepted to their online program. I’m trying to decide between Fordham and Simmons.

Of course! Personally I had a bad experience with their field work office. They didn’t give me a supervisor for months that you’re supposed to check in with weekly and blamed me when they asked who it was and I said no idea they never told me about any supervisor. Then, they gave me one who was not at all attentive, forgot who I was and where I was interning every time we talked, and did things like send me the wrong zoom links for our meetings constantly creating wasted time. The classes were alright, I had 2 professors I loved and 2 professors I did not like at all which really turned me off. Maybe I’m just one person that had a bad experience and mine was especially unfortunate but it truly turned me off to this school     

• 3 weeks later...