how to get financial aid??

Guest canadiannette

Guest canadiannette

hey guys,

I've been admitted to a few master's program in the US...but I'm completely lost on how to get financial aid, loans, or apply for scholarships (which might be too late now)...etc...i'm a little stupid when it comes to interest rates and looking for the best deal. I've researched mannnnny places for scholarships, but it seems like i'm not elligible to apply to any of them, either I am not from the right country or my stats aren't high enough.

Can anyone give me any sort of advice? Along with my applications to several schools, I've already applied for assistanships within the schools, but dont have a better chance since they consider me 'international'. Can anyone help me out?? I have no idea how I'm going to pay my tuition, even though my parents are willing to help, I'd rather do this on my own.

Thanks!

you could fill out a fafsa application, although the supposed deadline was march 1. does anyone know what happens if you miss the deadline by a few days? will it still be processed?

Most schools process everything that they've received by March 1 and then begin a second round where they look at the ones they got on March 2, then they look at March 3, etc (presuming funding is available). So the sooner you get the FAFSA to them, the better. Although if you're international, I'm not sure you qualify. You definitely want to look at the Financial Aid sites for the specific institutions and email/call/pester them to get the info you need. There might still be some smaller scholarships available. Again, check with the school. Also check websites like fastweb

Crap, I thought I had until March 10 to file the Fafsa and still be considered priority...what did I miss? How did I screw this up?? I just filed it Sunday :( The only reason I even waited THAT long was because I was planning to not take out loans (no funding = not going to enroll).

I know I got this deadline information somewhere. Damn damn damn.

Guest epastore

I wouldn't panic about the March 1st deadline because it actually depends on the school you are going to. For example, at Brown, there are only specific instances where you would need to file your FAFSA before June 1st. Also at Case Western, you can't file a FAFSA for them until you are accepted into the Univeristy. So, check your individual programs :)

Guest canadiannette

yea well b/c i'm from canada, i'm not elligible for fafsa.. :roll: i guess there is no hope..*sigh*

yea well b/c i'm from canada, i'm not elligible for fafsa.. :roll: i guess there is no hope..*sigh*

Canadiannette,

I am also a Canadian, and we have some problems with regards to funding because we aren't US citizens. I didn't apply for any outside funding when I submitted my grad school applications back in November/December (which is why I applied for direct-entry PhD instead of an MA), but we do have one scholarship/fellowship that we can get for study abroad: it's called SSHRC. Try the website below. Also, there is a fellowship that you can get through Bombardier, but you'll have to read the details to see if your program/course of proposed study makes you eligible for it.

http://www.sshrc.ca/web/apply/program_d ... ters_e.asp

Guest canadiannette

Hey thanks for that link!! I'll be sure to apply to that next year since I'm well past the deadline.. BTW, what is Bombardier?

Canadiannette,

I am also a Canadian, and we have some problems with regards to funding because we aren't US citizens. I didn't apply for any outside funding when I submitted my grad school applications back in November/December (which is why I applied for direct-entry PhD instead of an MA), but we do have one scholarship/fellowship that we can get for study abroad: it's called SSHRC. Try the website below. Also, there is a fellowship that you can get through Bombardier, but you'll have to read the details to see if your program/course of proposed study makes you eligible for it.

http://www.sshrc.ca/web/apply/program_d ... ters_e.asp