ICE policy if your school is fully online

FYI

https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/sevp-modifies-temporary-exemptions-nonimmigrant-students-taking-online-courses-during

There are many things that remain unclear (like, what is "fully" online). But I thought you international folks want to read this and contact your ISOs cc'ing your programs. 

Important stuff, thanks for posting. I wonder where that leaves those just starting with new visas and wanting to do a first semester remotely online then start in-person in the spring. 

Edited by Cryss
small fix

On 7/6/2020 at 5:08 PM, Cryss said:

Important stuff, thanks for posting. I wonder where that leaves those just starting with new visas and wanting to do a first semester remotely online then start in-person in the spring. 

My understanding from what I have read beyond this announcement is that even if you have a visa stamp and are already in the US, if your institution goes online, you must leave. Of course, it is a two-fold attack. On the one hand, it attacks Asian students who compose the majority of international students. On the other, it seeks to force schools to open, which has been the message from the WH in the past two days. 

On 7/7/2020 at 5:08 AM, Cryss said:

I don't know if this applies to your school/state, since different schools would have different policies, but here's Duke's stance on a remote first semester/year: 

"An incoming international student who has not secured a valid visa or does not enter the U.S. is not subject to U.S. immigration law and thus may take a full set of online Duke classes while residing abroad."

On 7/6/2020 at 11:08 PM, Cryss said:

Many schools are giving students the option of doing the fall semester or quarter completely online from their homes.

if classes would begin in person later, it will be important to work with the international student office to change the anticipated arrival date in SEVIS.