Am I eligible to apply for PhD in Ed with MA in Creative Writing???

Hi, all --

I've been stressing about my next steps. Last year, I applied for PhD programs in English, but it just didn't feel right. This year, I realized it's because I'm more interesting education in general. Right now, I'm specifically focused on faculty members' role in mental health in higher education. I'm also fascinating by increasing accessibility in classrooms. The topics of English Ed. just don't feel as pressing.

I have a BA in Secondary Ed with a major in English and minor in Psychology. I did zero research for my degree. I completed my MA in Creative Writing with a creative thesis. Again, no research. I've been teaching first-year writing (freshman comp) for four years now.

I'm looking at Education PhD programs internationally, and I'm feeling so unqualified with my lack of research background. At least in the States, everyone takes research classes, but in many other countries (e.g., Australia with my top researchers), it seems like you're just supposed to know how to do this.

Am I unqualified? Should I look at getting an MA in Education to get the research experience and then go for the PhD later??? What do I do?!?! HALLLPPPP.

• 3 weeks later...

You can 100% make the switch--many come to Ed PhDs from other fields (and/or with limited research experience)! Yes, this will likely be harder in programs where classes are minimal in the PhD and the focus is on research. They may not view your application favorably or require you to have a different degree before applying, but they also might teach those things through an apprentice ship model just as well (or better) as you would learn in classes.

Is there a particular reason you are applying to these programs? Is it that your niche area of interest has PIs scattered throughout the world? If that is the case, then reach out and have a conversation, because it is likely that getting PhD students in that niche area is also difficult and the PIs will help you overcome any background-related hurdles. If it is just that you think it would be fun to study in X country, then that will be a harder case to make.

You can also start getting research experience and maybe even taking some classes now. With so much online this fall, it might be a good time to take an intro to research methods grad course as a non-degree-seeking student. You can also reach out to PIs whose work you are interested in and ask if you can volunteer in their lab. Classes/degrees are great, but there is nothing like hands-on experience.

Edited by t_ruth